Jelousy

You say nothing to Shane as the caravan drives along the highway. He kissed you. You can’t believe he kissed you. And after telling you he wanted to keep his distance. You liked the kiss. The way he held you took your breath away. You had never experienced anything like it. Just as you were about to say something to him, the caravan slowly came to a stop. 

“What the hell?” Shane shuts the car off and hops out. You follow him up to the RV. Dale is standing in front of the RV cursing. 

“That damn radiator hose again.” he says. 

“Great. What are we gonna do?” Glenn asks. 

“If you can’t find a radiator hose here…” Shane shrugs. 

“We could siphon fuel from the cars at least.” T-Dog says, walking up. The group had gathered around to see what the problem was. Everyone silently agrees that it’s a good idea to scavenge supplies. 

“I don’t know how I feel about this.” Lori adds. She’s ignored as Shane announces,

“Gather what you can, y’all.” 

You get separated from Shane as he goes into leader mode, searching cars for supplies. You try to follow him. You needed to know why he kissed you. Finally, you make it further down the wreckage where Shane was. 

“Shane…” you say just loud enough to get his attention. He stops and looks at you. 

“S’posed to be gathering supplies.” he murmurs. 

“I know, I just needed to talk to you.” 

“It can wait,” he replies flatly. You want to argue when there’s commotion up ahead. You see a group of walkers heading through the scattered vehicles. “Get under there, now.” 

Shane pushes you underneath one of the cars and follows you, signaling to Glenn to do the same. Walkers start to pass by. Not just a few. Peeking from underneath your spot under the vehicle, you see dozens of shuffling feet wandering past. You nearly gasp and Shane clamps his hand over your mouth. You see him in your periphery shake his head. You struggle to regulate your breathing, completely terrified, and opt to close your eyes. Shane scoots closer to you, nearly placing half his body on top of yours. Shane looked from underneath the car and deemed the threat averted, slowly pulling himself from under the vehicle to make sure. Once he found it safe, he waved you forward. You shimmy out from under the car and are helped up by Shane. 

“What the hell?” Glenn asks, shimmying out from his own car. 

“Come on, back to the RV, let’s go.” Shane says. You halt the scavenging to get your bearings. You find out, Andrea was attacked but she’s fine, and Sophia ran off. Carol was inconsolable. 

“Rick ran off after her. He’ll bring her back.” Lori comforted her. Shane regroups everyone to continue scavenging.

“Shane, please, will you talk to me?” you ask quietly as everyone sets about looking for supplies. He sighs and realizes you’re not going to let it go, so he follows you to a spot away from everyone. 

“What is it?”

“Why did you kiss me?” you ask. He shakes his head, looking away from you.