Looking Ain't a crime

Everyone else went back to minding their business while you, Shane, Lori and Rick find a spot to talk in private. 

“I can’t believe you’re alive.” Rick says, looking between Shane and Lori. 

“Come on, man, have some faith in me. It’s a lot more shocking that you found us.” Shane smirks. Rick looks at you. 

“Sorry, you are?” 

“Um, my name’s Y/N.” 

“Rick, uh, see something kinda happened. Right when all this started, she came and found you in the hospital and… you were in a coma, man. So, um-” Shane’s struggling to find the words to explain. 

“She’s your daughter.” Lori interjects. Rick looks at his wife in surprise. “Her mom gave her your contact info right before you got shot, and she went to see you, but since you were in a coma, she talked to Shane who introduced us.”

“When everything went to hell, I got her out along with Lori and Carl.” Shane explains. Rick is looking at you, searching your features for anything that screams his DNA. 

“Your mom? Who was your mom?” Rick asked. 

“Traci Alvarez.” you reply quietly. Rick goes white. 

“And she...is she here?” 

“Um, no, she…” you start. 

“She didn’t make it, Rick.” Shane replies. 

“You remember her, don’t you Shane?” 

“Yeah, we actually talked before everything went down. Badass lady.” 

“Wow, Traci, that was so long ago, you must be, what, seventeen?”

“Eighteen.” 

“I had no idea.” Rick says. He takes your hand and looks you up and down. He pulls you into a hug, and you wrap your arms around him tentatively. You try to keep the tears back but find it impossible. “I promise, I had no idea.” Rick’s hand goes to the back of your head, keeping you pressed against his chest. 

You pull away from him and wipe your eyes. 

“Mom wanted me to know who you were before she… died. She, um, she had cancer, so it was inevitable, but then all this happened.”

“Why didn’t she tell me? I remember dating your mom. She never told me she was pregnant. She just broke up with me and was gone.” Rick replies. 

“She was 15 and scared. And my grandma made her drop out. She didn’t want you to know because grandma thought you’d pressure her to give me up or y’know, get rid of me.” you tell him. 

“I never would have pressured her to do anything. I… I wish she would have told me.” Rick sighs. 

“Me too, but if it makes you feel any better, I had a really good life. Mom never married, so it was just her and my grandma raising me. Once she got her cancer diagnosis, she wanted me to know who you were since she knew I would try to find out anyway.” 

“Well, I’m glad. And I’m sorry about your mom.” he says. You thank him. Shane clears his throat. 

“Let’s go finish those chores, give your dad and Lori a chance to talk,” he says. You agree. You kind of awkwardly wave bye and follow Shane over to where you were working. "You okay?"