Bonds

The next morning, everyone took the time to explore their new home, seeing what else can be scavenged. You found a basket filled with knitting supplies and a half-started project. It looked like the beginnings of a hat. You weren’t the best at knitting, but you figured you could finish it. 

“Where’s dad?” you ask Lori. She looked up at you startled. You had really only called him dad to his face, and Rick to everyone else. It was something you were still iffy about. 

“Uh, he and Shane went to explore the area. Carl went with them. Left this morning.” she replied. 

“Oh, okay.” you shrug. You sit on your bed that you had haphazardly made up for some sense of normalcy. You started working on the half-started project. You glance up and notice Carol was looking at you. Lori had already gotten up and left. Carol watched her leave and then moved to the edge of your bed.

“Can I ask you something?” she says. 

“If it’s how you fix this stitch, I don’t know. Looks like we’ll find out together.” you laugh. 

“No, uh, it’s about Shane. I saw him kiss you when we were outside of the CDC, and I was just wondering what that was about?” 

“Apparently nothing.” you reply, your voice turned more bitter than you intended. 

“What do you mean?” she asks. 

“I guess it was a mistake since he doesn’t want anything to do with me now,” you sigh, setting the knitting in your lap. “I asked him what it meant when we were on the highway. He said it was just a kiss. And when we were at the CDC, he said he should keep his distance.” 

“I don’t see why he would. I’ve been watching you two since Atlanta. It seems like he really adores you.”

You’re quiet for a moment, “I guess it’s cause of my dad. They’re best friends.”

Carol nods solemnly. 

“You like him, don’t you?” she asks quietly. You just stare at her. 

“He’s my best friend.” your voice cracks. You clear your throat and turn back to the project you decided to take on. 

It was getting late, and Rick, Shane, and Carl weren’t back yet. Daryl decided to go and try to track them down. 

You were playing a game of Othello with Glenn when there was commotion outside. Glenn grabs his gun, and you follow him outside tentatively. 

“Lori Grimes?” a pretty lady astride a horse called out. Lori set down the bucket she had in her hand and raised it. “You need to come with me. Rick sent me. There’s been an accident, Carl’s been shot.” 

You look at each other horrified as Lori rushes over to the lady on the horse and hops on. She explains he’s still alive, but they need to leave immediately. 

“We’re just down Fairburn Road. You’ll see the mailbox. Name’s Greene.” 

And before you could even react, the lady had whisked Lori off. You immediately head over to the Cherokee and open the door feeling for the key. It was not in the ignition. You search around and it was gone. Your dad must have taken them. 

“What the hell are you doing?” Daryl asks, walking over to you. 

“I’m going after them, that’s my brother!”

“Y/N, we should stay put until we have more information.” Dale says from atop his RV. 

“He’s my brother!” you repeat. You look at Daryl. “What would you do for your brother? Not to mention my dad and...and…” 

The lady hadn’t mentioned anything about Rick or Shane being shot, but the thought made what little food you had roll in your stomach. 

“If you’re not gonna help me, then fine. I’ll go by myself.” 

“It’ll take you hours to get there. Do you even know where you’re going?” Daryl asks. 

“I’ll figure it out!” 

“C’mon I’ll take you. Y’all stay here. I’ll be back.” he replies. 

“Thank you.” you whisper to him. He walks you over to his motorcycle and gets on. You slide on behind him. 

“Hold on tight.” he says. You tighten your arms around his waist and off you go. 

It doesn’t take long at all before you arrive at a nice white house on a generous amount of farmland. Daryl drives right up to the house, and you see Shane leaning against the porch railing. He hears the motorcycle and looks up. 

You hop off and run up the porch to him. He turns to you. 

“What the hell happened?” you ask. 

“We were in the woods and Carl got shot.” 

“No shit. Why? Who shot him?” 

“Guy who lives here,” Shane replies quietly. He's quiet for a moment as he glances at Daryl. “So, you’re riding with him?” 

Your eyes widen as you process what he says. 

“I’m here for my brother, you ass.” you push him away and head into the house. 

Immediately to your right was a small room where everyone seemed to be gathered. Carl was laying on the bed, clearly unconscious. Rick was sitting in a chair next to him, looking very pale. 

“Dad.” you say quietly. The old man who was leaning over Carl turned to look at you. 

“Let’s keep everyone out who isn’t necessary.” 

“That’s my brother!” you say. “Dad.” you plead. 

“Hershel, let her stay.” Rick tells him, sounding weak. You observe what’s going on and realize your dad has been giving blood. 

“Wait, I can help. Use me. If he needs blood, use me.” you say. 

“He’s A positive.” the old man replies as if that would somehow trip you up. 

“And I’m O positive. Look, I can’t exactly give you my medical records. You’re going to have to believe me.” you say. You swallow hard. “Please let me help my brother.”