A question Annswered

“Can we talk?” 

You nod. He looks around the farm, finding a deserted spot by some fencing, where you couldn’t be overheard. Shane stands in front of you and drops his head. 

“You know how I said I wanted to keep my distance?” he asked, not looking up. You murmur in acknowledgment. He looks up past your left ear. “Yeah, well, that was stupid of me, and I don’t… I can’t keep my distance. I don’t want to.”

“I never wanted you to.” you reply. 

“I just got real pissed seeing you with Dixon-” he starts to explain but you cut him off. 

“I’m sorry, what? There’s nothing going on with me and Daryl.” you say, a little offended he would think that. 

“I mean, I don’t know. You were all giggly and stuff with him at the house, it just hit a nerve.” 

“Oh Shane, sweetie, I like Daryl, but he’s a friend. He’s just a funny dude,” you say, stepping closer to Shane. He rolls his eyes. “You’re the one who has my heart, you know that right?” 

His eyes meet yours and you just stand there staring at each other.

“I love you.” he finally says, breaking the silence that had fallen between you. You can’t help but grin. 

“I love you too, Shane.” 

He pulls you into his arms in a bear hug that nearly crushes you. You wrap your arms tight around his torso. 

“What about Rick?” you hear him murmur. Of course, he was worried what your dad would think. 

“I already told him I love you. He knows.” you sigh against his chest. “I told him last night.” you finally break away from him and place your hands on his chest. 

“Really? Musta been when I was still gone, cause after you passed out in my arms, I took you inside and told Lori the same thing.” he grins. You blush. Yeah, everyone did see that. It’s not like it was some shocking revelation. 

Shane looks around then steps closer to you, leaning in to kiss you gently. 

“I told you that kiss meant something.” you murmur when he breaks away. He grins against your lips and kisses you again.

You were being watched from a distance. Rick walks up to Hershel who was watching you at the fence from his porch. Rick looks in the same direction and sees you holding onto Shane. You laugh at something he says. 

“You been a father a long time, Rick?” Hershel asks. Rick shrugs. 

“I didn’t even know she existed until a few weeks ago.” he admits. He explains to the old man how your mom got pregnant with you and how he didn’t know about it. 

“I can tell you’re new to having a daughter. I’ll tell ya, my daughters mean the absolute world to me, and I don’t think I’d be okay with them carrying on with an older man.” he says, nodding his head to where you were standing with Shane. 

“It’s different.” Rick shakes his head. 

“How so?” 

“I didn’t raise her. Don’t get me wrong, I do love her, but sometimes I forget she’s mine,” he continues. “Shane’s my best friend, and he’s a good man.”

“So, you’re okay with it?” 

“What do you want me to say? I’m glad she has someone to protect her. I trust him.” Rick says. He continues to stare in your direction, seemingly trying to convince himself of it. Shane would protect you with his life, and you obviously loved him. Who was he to get in the way of that?