Chapter 5

Once we got to the hospital, I very badly parked the car, and ran inside. I panted as I looked around for Suga's mother. I ran up to her as she spotted me. She tightly held on to me, shaking violently.

"I don't want to lose him!" She sobbed.

"You won't lose him. He's gonna be okay." I calmed her down enough to get her to sit down. I went and walked around searching for a doctor.

"Who are you here for?"

"Sugawara Koshi."

"I have a Sugawara Koemi."

"Yes them," I paced.

"I can bring you and one other person back." I turned to Suga's mother and motioned for her to come over to the doctor. She jumped up and followed the doctor and I to a room. We started walking down a hall with butterflies and dinosaurs on the walls. The doctor stopped in front of a pink door and let us in.

Suga's POV

I woke up coughing, my lungs and eyes burning. I just clung to whatever was nearest to me. I started to get light-headed and everything went dark again. I woke up sometime later, something in my throat. I started freaking out. Somebody came over and started saying something to me, trying to get me to calm down. They started signing something, which confused me. I responded.

"How did you know I could sign?" I asked.

"I honestly didn't. I just do it for a few people who have been submerged in water because it messes with your hearing." She responded. I could hear small noises in the background. I pointed to the tube in my mouth and signaled to her that I could now hear her.

"You are on a ventilator. You inhaled a lot of water and it messed up your throat and you couldn't breathe properly. You're gonna have to have this in for just a little while longer until we can get you to be able to breathe on your own." She grabbed a clipboard and pressed buttons on the machines, writing numbers down. I closed my eyes, trying to distract myself from the uncomfortable feeling of the ventilator. I opened my eyes as the door opened.

"Oh my god Koshi!" I could feel my mother embracing me. I tightly clung to her, trying not to move. "What's in his throat?"

"She has a tube because she swallowed too much water, so we put her on this till she can breathe on her own." The nurse stopped writing.

"Umm, this is my son. He's not a girl anymore," I could see my mother pursing her lips.

"Oh! Please forgive me! I didn't know! The name on the file is Koemi, could you tell me the new name so that I can change it in the system?"

"Sugawara Koshi," my mom grabbed my hand.

"Okay. I will go get that changed in the system right now. Thank you," she frantically dipped her head and ran out of the room. I looked at my mom, slightly smiling around the mask. I held out my hand for Naoko who was standing by the door still. He slowly walked over. He gripped my hand with his shaky hands.

"Ngh," I started gagging from trying to talk around the tube.

"It's okay, don't force yourself," he hugged me. "I thought I was gonna lose you. I was doing CPR, and then you were clinging to me. Then you just went limp!" I could feel him shaking. We just stayed like this until the nurse came back. She changed the papers on the end of the bed.

"Okay, all fixed. The doctor said that I can take this out and see how you are breathing and see from there." She unclipped the tube from the head piece. "Okay, I'm gonna have you lean your head back and I'm gonna pull this out." She gently pushed my head back, and started pulling the tube. Naoko squeezed my hand to remind me that he was there. "Hey, can one of you grab the small trash can just in case he needs to get sick?" My mom went and grabbed the trash can and set it next to her feet, grabbing my hand again.