11-My Only Solace

From the moment I first looked at Hazel Hughes, I knew then that she was my soulmate. She wasn't my romantic soulmate, but she was my soul sister. She was everything to me and more.

Which is why I hated my brother so much right now. Ron DeChant, bassist of Starset, just had to go and get a girlfriend. Everyone in the world knew that Ron and Hazel were meant to be. Hell, our parents talked about their future together long before Hazel had even turned 18.

"You have to tell Hazel." I told Ron as we moved around the kitchen of his home.

"I will, when I can figure out how to tell her." Ron said, giving me a nervous shrug. Bastard. If you feel so guilty about it, why'd you do it?

Ron has never admitted to me that he was in love with my best friend, but it was obvious. It was obvious that she felt the same way. Hazel had never admitted this to me, either, but she didn't have to. I saw the way she looked at him.

"Ron, you've been dating Andrea for a good month now. You have to tell Hazel soon or she's going to be pissed." I crossed my arms over my chest and narrowed my eyes. Sooner or later, Ron would do the right thing.

"I know! If it helps, Andrea doesn't know about Hazel either."

My blue eyes widened. "What? Andrea doesn't even know about Hazel? Ron! What kind of sick game are you playing here?"

"I'm not playing a game! How do I explain to Andrea that there's another girl in my life that is honestly more important than she could ever be? How do I tell Hazel that she's the most important girl to me- besides my lovely sister- and that despite that, I have a girlfriend that I like?" Ron looked frustrated with himself, and I couldn't blame him. I was pretty frustrated with him, too.

"Do you love Andrea?" I asked, putting my hands on the kitchen table and staring at my brother.

"I don't know. I feel like I could." Ron admitted. "How can I love someone when she's always on my mind?"

I smiled sadly, looking away. "I don't know. But you either be honest with yourself, or you play this game and get burned. If you can't love another woman because of your little sister's best friend, than you should be with that friend."

"I can't... The age gap, the history, all of it. It's too complicated." Ron grumbled. "Besides, she deserves so much better than me. Can't you be gay and date her? That would solve all of our problems."

"Would it though?" I asked as I grabbed an apple from his fruit bowl and took a bite.

"Not really. Alright, I have to get to Andrea's, but I'll see you and Haze for dinner?" Ron asked as he gave me the finger guns.

"Yup! You better tell Hazel tonight!"

"I will!"

~~~

By the time Ron and Andrea had been together 6 months, he still hadn't told Hazel. I hadn't either, because it wasn't my place.

Every time Hazel cried over Ron, I wanted to break his neck. Every time Ron got drunk because of Hazel, I wanted to deck her in the face. I was torn between my best friend and my brother at almost all hours of the day lately.

My only solace was Dustin Bates.

Dustin was the lead singer to my favorite band, Starset. He was also my brother's best friend, which made shit ten times more complicated than it needed to be. Just like Hazel with Ron, Dustin and I were a match made in Heaven that could never be.

At least our age gap was only five years.

I flopped onto my bed, pulling my phone from my hoodie pocket and dialing Dustin on FaceTime. Within a few rings, his beautiful face appeared on the screen.

"Hey Lo. What's up?" Dustin grinned when he saw me, causing my heart to skip a beat.

"Hey Dustie! Nothing much.. Ron went to the airport to get Hazel,  so I'm alone." I sighed dramatically.

Dustin chuckled softly. "Well, hey, I'm about to shower, I can come over after?"

"God, yes. Please." I hummed. "Maybe come over and save water with me?" I batted my lashes playfully.

"I would but Ron would kill me." Dustin hummed. "And right now, there is no chance in hell I'm provoking that man or Hazel."

"Well, that's probably a good thing. I'll see you in a bit?"

"Bye beautiful." Dustin hummed, giving me a radiant smile before ending the call. I blushed and put my phone against my chest, sighing dreamily.

I thought about what it would be like to be Dustin's girlfriend. He was so smart, funny, and kind. He was handsome as hell and would make the perfect husband and father to my kids. Not that I would ever tell anyone besides Hazel that.

~~~

Dustin and I sat around a campfire in my backyard, along with Hazel and her new beau, Remy. I was surprised to see that she had moved on so fast from Ron, but then again, he had done a number on Hazel's heart.

Both Remy and Dustin moved inside to do some things. While they were gone, Hazel decided to strike.

"Willow, he is so into you." The brunette grinned at me. I shook my head as my cheeks turned pink.

"No way. It's no different to how Ron acted with you." I shrugged. In all reality, I knew that Ron loved Hazel more than anything; which means that if Dustin didn't solely view me as his best friend's little sister, than maybe he loved me, too.

My phone dinged, pulling me from my thoughts.

Remy cheated on Hazel.

I looked at my phone wide eyed before gazing up at the house, and then back to my phone. I got up quickly, my palms starting to get sweaty.

"Dustin needs help, I'll be right back." I told Hazel, unsure of how to proceed. I knew without a doubt that I was going to go inside my house and turn it from a lovely, comforting home to a murder scene. Remy was going to die tonight for cheating on my Hazel.

I hurried into the house like a woman on a mission. I found Dustin in the living room, listening intently to the conversation behind the bathroom door. He put his fingers to his lips when he saw me.

"He's on the phone with his ex, and they're planning on getting back together." Dustin whispered in my ear, his arm wrapping around my shoulders. As comforting as his touch was, I could only see red.

I all but pounded my fist against the wooden door, wishing I could rip open a hole and poke my head through. Here's Willow!

Remy opened the door, looking almost afraid. When he realized it was us, he breathed a sigh of relief. "I'll call you later. Bye." He hung up his phone and looked at me.

My arms were crossed over my chest like a disappointed mother. "Who was that on the phone?"

"None of your business." Remy responded in a snarky tone.

I growled, lunging for him. Dustin wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close, trapping me in his embrace.

"You can sit right the fuck there and wait for Hazel. Then you can tell her what you just told whoever was on the phone." Dustin stated, voice low and as much a warning as it was a threat.

Remy grunted and pointed to the kitchen. "Can I at least get a beer? The kind I bought?"

I turned and stormed into the kitchen to grab a beer. I nearly threw it at his head, but Dustin took it from me and handed it to Remy. The dark haired moron sat down on the couch, opening his beverage.

My phone rang, the caller ID reading that it was my best friend. I frowned and looked up at Dustin, unsure of what to do.

"What do I do?" I asked, panic gripping me.

"Answer it and go from there." Dustin nodded

I sighed and swiped the call button, bringing the phone to my ear. It was now or never. "Hello?"