Chapter Three- The Unknown

The next week went by without anything of interest or out of place. Jennifer and Colin basked in the glorious blessing that was bestowed upon them. They had their fights between now and then, their sessions in which nothing could tear the apart, and their times they just lay in each others embrace with no words. But this night was abnormal. Colin had not returned home in some time. As a matter of fact, it had been nearly ten at night when Jennifer began to grow anxious. Her stare was cold on the clock and it only moved to then look at her phone. Since they just finished wrapping a season, all the people she could confide in where on vacation so she was left to deal with this herself.

        Jennifer was now anxious more than ever. Another hour passed and it would have been midnight soon. He never went anywhere without calling her. Even if it were an emergency.

        Her heart jumped from her chest when there was a knock on her door. She did not waste anytime before tearing across the floor and opening the door. But it had been Helen. Jennifer froze with a look of confusion.

        "Helen?"

        She looked at her before looking at the ground.

        "You sure are beautiful." She said before looking at her phone.

        "What are you doing here?" She asked, anxiously looking for Colin.

        "I got these text messages since two and they have not ceased for anything..." She said as she handed Jennifer her phone. "I think something happened to Colin..."

        "Why are you showing me these?"

        "To be honest, I thought it was you doing it. But I can tell by your expression it isn't you...." She paused. "Did something happen to him?"

        Jennifer felt uneasy about Helen's presence since she had conspired to scare Jennifer a few months prior. But she knew deep down that Helen only meant to help Colin-despite Jennifer. That was one think they had in common-Colin.

        "I want to leave you with my phone...but call me by this number if you hear anything. Please." She said as she handed her a business card with her name and number on it. "It's the number on the right." She said before turning.

        "Can I get you anything? Water?"

        "No. I can't eat or drink or even sleep right now..."

        "That's something we have in common...Would you want to come in?"

        Helen was more surprised than anything to be invited in. She froze for a moment before turning back and walked toward the apartment.

        "Only if I'm not an inconvenience..." She said in a small timid voice.

        "We mine as well get through his together...We may even be able to help one another..." Jennifer said as Helen entered the apartment with a smile then placed her hand in her pocket and wore a wicked smile before Jennifer greeted her with a smile. As Jennifer turned, her smile ceased...