one

Layla stares at her empty room with bitter sweetness. She's going to miss it, especially her walk in closet.

"Layla it's time to go!" Maureen Chelts, her mother calls from down the hall. Layla rolls her eyes and grabs the last box she has to carry out of the room.

The Chelts' are moving to Cleveland, Ohio from New Jersey. Bobby Chelts, Layla's father died  from a heart attack a couple months back.

The family was obviously stunned from the loss, especially since Bobby was young. Maureen wanted a fresh start and decided to move them so she could be closer to her parents, Layla's grandparents.

Layla hated this decision. She felt like her mother was running away from her problems and didn't consider how the move would make her feel.

She places the box into the back of the moving van and walks over to her mother's car. Layla is not looking forward to this road trip at all.

"Why couldn't we just catch a plane?" Layla questions after getting situated in the front seat.

Maureen watches the moving van pull out of the driveway and down the street before starting the car, "Driving is less expensive, you know that."

Layla only sighs and looks out of the window as the car starts to move. Her heart aches once her childhood house is out of view, remembering all the memories she made while growing up.

===

"Be careful with that box Lay, the glasses are in there." Maureen warns after seeing Layla almost drop the box in her arms.

Layla huffs and puts the box down on the kitchen floor. Already she hates it here.

The traffic was horrible and there were tons of pot holes in the streets. They didn't live in the best neighborhood but at least they weren't in the trenches.

"Can I go unpack my room now?" Layla asks, already walking towards the stairs to her bedroom without receiving an answer.

She closes the door behind her and moves a loc of her hair out of her face. Layla inspects the room and figures out how to organize her room before moving into action.

While unpacking, Layla can't help but think about how much she'll dread going to school tomorrow. There's no way things will be easy for her transferring in the middle of the school year.

Like, who switches schools 3 months before the school year ends? Layla internally groans at the upcoming attention, already missing being a familiar face back home.

"Ow fuck." Layla curses after stubbing her toe on her bed frame. She glares at the metal material as she comforts her throbbing toe.

Her phone dings with a message, she checks it to see it's her close friend from home, Raven.

Raven☺️: hey girl did you make it okay?

Layla: yh i'm unpacking rn. i already hate it here😭

Raven☺️: aww it can't be that bad, give it a week and you might think differently

Layla: we'll see but i'll ttyl

Raven☺️: kk. call me tmr

Layla: i will

Layla carelessly tosses her phone on her night stand and stares at the wall in front of her. She doesn't feel like carrying her big ass mattress to the opposite side of the room, she doesn't feel like unpacking period.