forty-eight

Layla reluctantly wakes up from her sleep as her alarm blares. She turns it off and sits up in bed.

She stares blankly at the floor, contemplating her life.

It's 6 am, and she has to get ready for school. She certainly didn't miss this.

Yawning, Layla drags herself out of bed and across the hall to the bathroom. She slowly does her morning routine, trying her best to wake herself up, but it seems impossible at the moment.

Already having her outfit picked out, she throws on a beige distressed crocheted sweater with a white tank top under it, a brown ruffled mini skirt, and brown Nike dunks.

Her locs stay down apart from a few strands that are pulled back, and she does minimal makeup, not having the energy to do much.

She checks her book bag, making sure she has everything she needs before grabbing her purse and phone, skipping downstairs into the kitchen.

"Aww~ look at my little senior." Maureen coos, feeling herself tear up at the thought of her little girl growing up.

Layla cringes as she grabs a banana, "Please don't, cause you're gonna start crying which is going to make me emotional and we can't have that right now."

Maureen chuckles, "Alright alright, I'll stop. You look cute though."

"Thanks mom." Layla replies as she chews a piece of banana.

"How are you getting to school? Do you need me to take you?" Maureen asks and Layla shakes her head, "No, Kook is picking me up." She checks the time on her phone, "He should be here soon."

As if on cue, a few honks are heard outside and Layla's phone chimes with a test message from Jungkook, telling her that he's outside.

"That's him." Layla throws away her banana peel and grabs a water bottle before walking out of the door.

"Wait!" Layla turns around to her mother who starts to takes pictures of her.

Layla groans in embarrassment, "Maaa stopp." Maureen kisses her teeth, "I will if you smile. Do a little pose too, like how you do for instagram."

The teen only gives a smile, refusing to pose for her mother like she does for her friends. She then waves quickly to her mother before rushing inside Jungkook's car.

"Hey, supermodel." Jungkook teases, honking the horn a couple times before he pulls off.

Layla giggles, "Shut up. Did you check your schedule?"

"Yeah. I have Calc first and Lit second. It said something about my third being undetermined or some stupid shit." he turns onto Taehyung's street, "Tae asked for a ride...even though he has a car."

She smiles, "We have second together, and I don't have a third period. Maybe you don't either and they forgot to specify that."

Jungkook shrugs, "I don't know, but I hope that's the case."

The couple watch as Taehyung jogs to the car, holding a full bowl of cereal in his hands, "Hey guys."

Jungkook blinks, "Why? Just why?" Taehyung looks at him confusedly, stuffing a spoonful of Lucky Charms into his mouth.

Layla can't help but laugh and Jungkook shakes his head, "Nothing man."

He continues driving them to school, parking in the parking lot. They disperse from the car, Jungkook throwing an arm over Layla's shoulders as they walk into the school.

The only thing that comes to their mind as they walk through the halls of hell is that they're now seniors, meaning they lowkey own the school now.

But they don't really care about all of that, so they'll continue to stick to themselves until they graduate.