Hear Her

We were ushed into our bunks and the door locked behind us. "What the hell was that about?" Minho asked.

"That's an excellent question," I said, staring Thomas dead in the eye. Why would she kiss him? He must be the one she loves. 

"I'm gonna find out what's on the other side of that door," Thomas said, pulling out a keycard. 

"How'd you get that?"

"Millie. When she pushed through the guards, she grabbed it. Then she had to have a reason to have done that, so she kissed me and gave me the card. That's all, I swear."

"Right."

"Newt, they're hiding something. Okay? These people are not who they say they are."

"No, Thomas, you don't know that!"

"Millie does." 

"The only thing that we do know is they helped rescue is from WICKED. They gave us new clothes. They gave us food. They gave us a proper bed. Some of us haven't had that in a long time."

"Yeah, but-"

"Some of us a lot longer than others." Before Thomas could say anything else, the grate from under his bed flew across the floor. 

"Hey, Thomas."

"What the..." Frypan said 

"We gotta go."

"Yeah. Yeah. Let's go." 

"Who is this guy?"

"All right, look, maybe you guys are right. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid. But I've got to find out for sure. Millie's out there, possibly risking her life for us, for you. She can't do it alone. Just cover for me. I'll be back as soon as I can.

The doors closed behind me, and I was out of sight of everyone in the cafeteria. We walked around the corner, where we were met with guards—one for each of us. I heard footsteps behind me and knew there was no point in running and fighting. Some of the other kids tried to resist, but the guards were too strong. As one walked up to me, I recognized him. He was the one I convinced to let the boys stay in the room with me. 

"You're smart for not fighting."

"We both know I would win that fight. But there are a dozen guards around us, so where would I go."

"It was you—the one who beat up Ashton. You broke his nose, you know."

"I know, I heard it. I think I popped his jaw out too. And as for his, well, let's just say I hope the popped too."

"His jaw was popped out of place, but they weren't, not both of them at least. But why did you do it?" He asked as he guided me along behind the others. We were at the back of the line, and no one was behind us. I smiled.

"He deserved it."

"But what did he do?"

"Well, he called me cupcake."

"That's it? I'd hate to see what you do to people who hurt you."

"No, he insulted my friends. And kept on nagging me about dating one of the guys that survived the Maze with me." I looked down and saw the keycard on his belt. I was handcuffed, but that didn't stop me from quickly grabbing it and clipping it to the inside of my pants. 

"Still, you did a lot of damage to a kid who only talked and didn't get physical." I shrugged my shoulders and sighed.

"Where are you taking us?"