C

CASPIAN

CASPIAN

I find comfort in silence.

Before it was the books, the patio swing in our garden, the low volume of the video game and the slow pouring of the rain. Then it was her ㅡ the way she lives with consideration, beauty and silence. How the wind loves to caress her hair and how the leaves fall just to kiss her cheek. How the forest rest and the world quiets when we're together.

And how it was also maddeningly loud the moment we separated from each other.

It was a quiet noise, a silence so loud I almost hated the place I was comfortable in.

When I woke up, it was with a cold sweat. My heart thundered erratically against my chest, my mind lost and confused as I took in the white room. When I stepped out into the hallways, it was as if everything that has shattered were glued back together.

However, a broken glass couldn't be fixed anymore. The cracks would always show.

"Caspian..."

I took a deep breath before dragging my eyes towards Finn.

"Are you alright?"

I smiled and nodded. Am I alright?

I spent the past few weeks unable to sleep. It was a couple of months after the game ended and the group had a little reunion, courtesy by Dierran who managed to snatch his woman forever then. Siguro dahil sa halatang pamumutla ko o sa naglalakihang eyebags sa mata. Oliver also sent me worried glances on the way here, and whenever I try to catch him, he avoids like I'm holding a gun to his head.

Simula noong mamatay ako sa game, I haven't been able to sleep normally. Kapag nakakatulog ng malalim ay bigla akong nagigising may panaginip man o wala. I hated the silence that my dreamless nights had to offer. The noise of the dark was so excruciatingly loud that I fear a mirror shattering would sound from any direction. I hated the nights when I had dreams because they would always turn to be nightmares. I would find myself back in an endless hall of mirrors that would shatter and pierce through my skin.

Those nights when I have insomnia and couldn't study due to migraines, I spend them in a bus that tours around the city.

Sumasakay ako tuwing Friday night dahil mayroon akong enough na oras para makababa sa linggo at makapag-ayos para sa lunes na klase... and at the same time, I'd have enough time for myself.

"O, nonoy, saan ka na naman bababa? Ikot ka uli?" the driver asked when he saw me in my usual seat, second row at the back. "Dadaan kami sa may fishing town ngayon tapos labas sa may mountainside, mahal na babayaran mo 'pag ikot talaga."