Chapter 10: Greystorm

Greystorm yawned, they had been travelling all night and the sun was beginning to rise. Fireflight was padding beside her sister, Fathompaw, with a determined expression on her face. Greystorm smiled slightly, he admired the ginger she cat's courage to go on this journey even though she didn't get the prophecy.

"We need to get some sleep, I'm going to fall asleep walking!" Stagmoon yawned. Greystorm nodded, agreeing,

"I'll take the first watch and wake you guys up so we can keep going." Fireflight shook her head,

"You look like you're going to fall asleep on your paws, I'll take the first watch while you get some sleep, when night comes we can all sleep," she mewed, calmly, smiling. Greystorm yawned then nodded, not wanting to start an argument. They found an old fox den then fell asleep, Fireflight watching for any danger. Flamewhisker nodded in agreement.

" I will watch out at the entrance of the den while you guys sleep with Fireflight."

Stagmoon smiled brightly and padded inside the den with the others.

Greystorm glared at Flamewhisker. Greystorm had wanted to talk with Fireflight.

Could Flamewhisker like Fireflight?

Jealousy pricked in Greystorm's belly.

Why am I so jealous? I don't even like her!

Greystorm huffed and curled up in a ball in the den next to Fathompaw.

* * *

The dim light blazed in Greystorm's eyes. Fathompaw was stalking around as if to search the place for something. But then Greystorm remembered that she was blind. Darksplotch was huddled away from the others, muttering something. Fireflight was sitting outside of the fox den and Flamewhisker wasn't there. Greystorm got up and headed out of the fox den to sit beside Fireflight.

"There you are sleepy head!" She mewed, smiling, "The mountains should be a couple more days of travel away, then we'll find the cave you were talking about," she purred, flicking her tail happily, not looking tired at all. Greystorm nodded, smiling, he felt warm, even when a cold gust of wind hit him. "I can wake the others," Greystorm mewed. Just then the bushes rustled and Flamewhisker came out with a vole in his mouth.

" Hello, Greystorm!" Flamewhisker padded out. Stagmoon followed behind him with a small rabbit in her mouth. Fathompaw bounded out of the den with a bundle of leaves in her mouth.

" The den has all sorts of herbs in there! There must have been a mother and pups because there are a lot of herbs."

Fireflight chuckled at her blind sister. " Oh, Fathompaw, always looking for herbs around new areas."

Greystorm smiled at the young warrior. His pelt felt warm again, she was going to be a great warrior, he just knew it! "Get out here Darksplotch, your the only one in there now, other than Creeknight!" Fireflight called. Creeknight ran out of the old fox den, and Darksplotch followed more slowly,

"Let's go then," he mewed, yawning. Greystorm took the lead, Fireflight walking beside him, beaming.

***

A few days had passed and the mountains seemed so far ahead of them, that Greystorm was beginning to think that they would never reach the mountains. "There should be at least one more day of traveling, we can stop here for the night," Greystorm sighed when they came across an old fox den.

Fireflight nodded and said to Stagmoon and Silverfur. " Do you want to get moss bedding and prey with me?" She asked.

They all nodded and hurried into the bushes. Greystorm made sure everyone was in the fox den when Fireflight, Stagmoon, and Silverfur came back from getting bedding and prey then sat at the entrance of the fox den.