Chapter 6: Levi

Chapter 6:

Anonymous. Not Identified by name. Synonyms like unnamed and nameless flipped through my head as I casted my gaze out the windshield. Anonymous' listlessly allowed her eyes to wander through the truck. Her demeanor set her at ease. I looked over at her ever so slightly as we pulled to a stop light. The way every feature on her face swirled together like a Picasso. Nothing out of place. Her nose twitched a bit everytime she took a breath. Her body clung to the chair like a rag doll.

The light seemed to change as I looked up from her face. She began to fiddle through the glove compartment as we drove down the road. The glove compartment held the registration, an ironic pair of gloves, a few old cassettes, a pack of matches, a pocket knife, a poncho and a book of maps. Personally I figured my Dad shoved everything in here when he was told to clean the truck. With each item she clutched in her hands she giggled lightly.

"Who's stuff is this?" She said trying on the holey gloves.

My gaze kept to the road ahead as we drove down the road. I cleared my throat, "My Dad's."

"Ah I see," She scrunched her nose up like a bunny as she put everything on her lap back into the glove compartment.

"So," I began, "Are you not going to tell me your name?"

"I already told you my name," She answered shifting in her chair to gaze at my profile.

"Not really when you think about it," I turned yet another corner.

"Well if a name is only what you call someone. Why couldn't you call me Anonymous?" She mused while tapping away on her lap.

"Touché," I sighed.

Anonymous had a point. A name is just a title. Shakespeare said it best when he wrote, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" which means that names don't matter. Names and titles are just there. No need to fuss over such minute details.

"Levi where are you taking me?" She looked through the windshield and then back over to me.

"I don't have a clue," I answered.

"Can you take me home?" She asked shifting in chair. I want to say no. I felt the word no build on the tip of my tongue.

"Sure," I nodded, "Where to?"

"Main Street and 40," She answered before ruffling through her purse.

"Is that near Downtown?" I asked realizing she was merely walking distance from where she bumped into me in old town.

"Yes it is," She smiled wearily at me as I drove.

"Old town?" I questioned.

"I was there today," She breathlessly laughed at me.

"Me too," I chewed on my lip.

Her whole face scrunched up momentarily as she took in each of my features, "You ran me over."

"That's me," I chuckled.

"Learn how to walk," She sighed and playfully slapped her knee.

"You're one to talk. Did you see yourself at that party?" I pointed pulling onto the freeway.

"Whatever." She crossed her arms.

The freeway was practically empty at this hour. The occasional semi here or there. Anonymous hummed harmlessly to a song I've never heard. Her fingers tapped against her shredded black jeans. Her shirt clung loosely to her figure the material rose and fell with her breath. The lines on the road were like a connect the dots game to my destination. Anonymous looked over at me silently.