Chapter 179: Falls of Duress(3)

Luke's words caused Romeo's eyes to widen.

"Wait! No, please- AAAAHHH!!!"

Silviu didn't wait for Romeo to finish his sentence before whipping him, as Luke had ordered. Romeo's blood and cries were all over the place. Meanwhile, Luke just stared at Romeo blankly. He can't believe that the man in front of him has just been entrusted with top-secret information yet is a novice at keeping secrets.

After the whipping was finished, Romeo tried to catch his breath and began to cry. Luke frowned as he observed this.

"Stop crying already and tell me what you know."

Romeo immediately fell silent and tried to hold back his tears, fearing that if he cried, he would be lashed again. This is the first time in his life that he has felt such intense pain, and just one more lash of that whip on his skin will cause him to cry uncontrollably. Such a feeling is both embarrassing as a noble and terrifying as a lone prisoner who has no idea where he is.

"P-please... No more... Please...."

"Then properly answer my questions."

"Huff... Yes... Yes, I will... Huff."

Luke then smiled. Even though his grin appears to everyone else to be normal, Romeo sees it as the devil's smile.

"Good boy. Now answer the first question for me."

Romeo nodded in agreement.

"T-the drugs I use are made from withered souls..."

Luke's mouth slightly opens in surprise as he looks at Romeo in disbelief. Luke wasn't the only one who was taken aback; Liam and the Elves were as well. Inside the room, Luke's dark voice echoed, giving Romeo goosebumps.

"What is the Dark Eye up to?"

Romeo closes his eyes and violently shakes his head.

"I-I'm not sure! All I know is that the drugs can only be consumed by those who have been chosen! When you take the drug, it will give you pleasure while also saving you from the impending calamity!"

Luke's brow furrowed as he looked at Romeo's pale face.

"Impending Calamity?"

Romeo nodded while shaking.

"Y-yes... When they contacted me, they told me that I had been chosen to be saved from the Calamity. They claimed that God had chosen me to be saved and that in exchange, I would assist them financially and... gather ingredients to make more drugs..."

Luke remained silent. His face hardened and his expression became cold. So the Dark Eye has infected not only the Western Continent, but also the Eastern Continent, and their influence appears to be much greater here than in the West.

"Do you know... Who this 'God' is?"

Romeo then shook his head.

"I swear I don't know anything! And the person who reached out to me was wearing a robe with a hood over their face... B-but let me warn you! That g-guy is no joking matter! H-he slew my personal knight with a single blow! He is a maniac!"

Luke paused for a moment before asking another question.

"What is the Dark Eye's connection to Irene? Why are they instructing you to marry her?"

"T-they said the God is planning to unite and seize control of the Underworld from the Pierce family via me. God said that with both of our power and influence, we will be one of his unstoppable forces... And I will be safer than ever from the Calamity..."