Chori chori

Pallavi quickly splashed her face with cold water and wiped it dry. Moving to her dresser,she picked up her favourite shade of lipstick and applied a thin coat over her rose-bud lips. Putting away the lipstick after capping it she stepped back to take in her appearance in the mirror before.She sighed at her wrinkled saree but decided to let it be. There was no time to change now,the guests had already arrived.

After she had returned home from Keerthy's house at around midday,she had been constantly immersed in getting things prepared to the mark for the kelvan ceremony and then get into assisting the caterers for evening dinner.At one point in the afternoon she felt like she was being pulled apart at the amount of situations and people who required her presence. If this was how every function would drain her then she might end up having fatigue by the time Mansi was married off.

Tucking some hair tendrils behind her ears and pushing the long locks entirely behind her shoulders,she stretched up tall and began to walk downstairs. Guests were present and covering almost the entire courtyard of the house.

The fairy lights and flower strings adorning the various pillars and corners had really helped the traditional courtyard take up a fancier look. Nikhil and his friends had really worked hard and it was visible.

Pallavi stepped down the last steps pasting a smile on her face as she joined Sharda's side to greet the guests. Amidst the buzz of celebration and songs,she was able to forget her worries for the next couple of hours or so.

As the evening was beginning to end,all the guests slowly making themselves scarce, Pallavi heard her name being called and it was by the least expected person too. Slowly turning away from Vijay and Sharda who stood in front of her but were now looking over her shoulder,she turned to see the person.

"Ah there she is!" Sulochana Deshmukh gushed as she caught hold of Pallavi's arm not so gently and pulled her forward.

Pallavi could only frown in confusion as to why the woman who had scrunched her nose at her dancing an hour before was now gushing over her. Her bafflement seemed to be questioning as she saw Sulochana give an answering grin. It was nothing innocent.

"There is somebody here to meet you." Sulochana cooed at a confused Pallavi before turning to Vijay,"Dada I think you would like to meet him too! It's been long..." She trailed off and slowly stepped aside letting the short man behind her come into view.

Alarm bells began to ring in Pallavi's head as she completely zoned out on all other noise from anywhere. Her eyes felt frozen and heart picked an abrupt pace. She could not move even if she tried to so she stood still as she watched her shop-owner step forward and walk right up towards them.

Jagdish Swamy was taking lazy steps as he grinned at her maliciously before shifting her gaze to her right. Pallavi followed his gaze and she felt she might faint at what she saw. Both Vijay and Sharda were still standing there with their hands folded in welcome for their shop owner, flanked by a jumping Sulochana,who by the knowing look she gave Pallavi,was the one who invited the man.

Pallavi zoned out as she remembered Jagdish's words from their last encounter which was few days back.

"Fine! Fine! I give you another week, but if you still don't pay me the rent, I will be asking your father to pay it."

It had been only four days,she still had three left. So why was he here right now? Pallavi felt sick to the stomach when she saw the look which passed between Sulochana and Jagdish Anna. Ofcourse!It was her. She invited him for this very thing. Pallavi knew that

This was it. Pallavi thought as she began to hyperventilate. The four adults got caught up in an easy chatter ignoring her frozen presence beside them. For a moment, Pallavi wanted to run away. Run away and hide somewhere where none of this was happening. Where her shameful face would not be revealed.