Mushkil jeena

"Pallavi,it's getting worse!" Keerthy shut the file in slight panic." If it all continues,the shop is for sure getting locked up for good." She said the words with as much compassion as she could muster for the woman before who was a dear friend.

Pallavi sighed before running a hand down her face. Earlier she would have panicked like every other time Keerthy described the disaster that the business was turning into. But today she just couldn't forge the optimism.

Keerthy stood up from the small bill counter right at the shop entrance,her bag in her hand,as Pallavi crossed the small distance between them." I am really sorry Pallavi. But it is the truth. You haven't paid the shop rent since the last five months,have not paid for the raw materials supply. Over that the electricity bill is rising with each day." Suddenly Keerthy herself could feel her friend's distress too. But she had to be blunt,she had to erase the meaningless hope Pallavi might hold onto and finally turn to practical solutions." The fact of the whole matter is that if there isn't a significant profit from the next stock,the shop might have to be shut down."

Pallavi gasped lowly dropping her hands as the finality of the words settled. It was really happening. She had finally failed,despite all the time and effort. A knot of not a good kind formed in her throat and she tried her best to gulp it down. Keerthy was looking at her with pity and she knew what her friend would tell her again like every other time. To tell Vijay about the true state of his business,a failing business to be precise. But she didn't have the courage to do it yet.Shaking her head she tried to get rid of the anxiety engulfing her.

She will have to try to sail through this. She can't let it happen.

"I-I have ordered some premium quality silk and cotton sarees this time. The sales would see a rise with those for sure. Y-you'll see!"

"I hope so." Keerthy smiled kindly at her friend's attempt at a bravado." Anyways,I have done the entries for the fake account. You can show it to Vijay uncle. I have increased the profits a little from the last month."

Pallavi thanked her bowing her head,not in gratefulness,but in the shame she felt about taking advantage of her accountant friend, about getting fake accounts made for the saree business which were far away from the real numbers and finally about presenting the same fake accounts to her father,lying to him in the face. Whatever her intentions might be,the whole thing made her feel sick and low.

"You should tell Vijay uncle about it all, Pallavi. How long are you going to lie?" Keerthy tried making her see sense.

"Until the shop is actually making some profits." Pallavi gave the same answer she gave everytime." I feel bad about lying too, trust me. But I-I can't have Baba know about this. I know he won't be able to take the shock of such huge loss. With his health still recovering,he won't take any of this lightly.I know he won't." She shuddered at the thought of what might unfold if Vijay got to know about the lies,the losses and the debts."You know,he was so proud today in morning at the loom pooja. He was telling everyone that I have made him proud,put his shop in a better position than it ever was." She breathed deeply as the guilt swamped her." I have never felt lower, Keerthy!"

Keerthy rubbed her cold hand between her own two palms as she tried to placate her friend." Hey,hey! It's okay. I know you will think of something. You won't give up. I know you. "

She was right. Pallavi won't give up. That was not because she was the ever-optimistic, hard headed Pallavi even now. But because she had no other options or alternatives. She had begun weaving a web of lies and she was now so caught in it,that she couldn't stop until having untangled the whole mess.

"I believe I can do better. I can try harder." She straightened her posture, squaring her shoulders." I will do everything to match upto Baba's expectations. To not let him and his belief in me down."