Aadha chanda

"Do din may Holi hai aur fir Mansi ka sangeet. Uff! It's all so tiring. People say it correctly when they say that it's a task to get one's daughter married." Sharda huffed as she entered the courtyard with a tray loaded with cups of tea and walked upto the chairs where her husband was sitting along with Milind and Sulochana.

The haldi ceremony had finally ended with some dance and laughter and now the guests had retired to their hotels. The handful of close relatives who were lodging with the Deshmukhs were resting in their rooms on the upper floor.

"Haa Vahini. " Milind said smiling as he took a cup of tea from the tray which Sharda held out to him."It will be a busy few days."

Sharda hummed as she turned and handed another cup to her husband who took it whilst saying,"Where is your daughter today? Her throat is injured or is her whole body unmovable? Ghar may shaadi hai aur ghar ke log laapata." He 'hmphed' looking away.

Sharda's good mood faltered a little at her husband's inconsiderate words. Ever since the confrontation with Aparna, Rahul's mother,on the day of Mansi's Kelvan,Vijay had been miffed with Pallavi and had shown his disapproval by withdrawing from any form of affection or regard for the young girl who he claimed to be his daughter. Needless to say,Pallavi had been miserable but the last few days she had been too busy to placate Vijay and that had added the bitterness to an already angry Vijay. The fact that Pallavi was ignoring his anger instead of going in rounds to mollify him like she did every other time was really disrespectful in Vijay's opinion.Although Sharda did not see Pallavi's fault in it,she knew her husband had different thoughts.

"Arey dada,the poor child never rests. Let her be for one day. Anyways, she'll be back on her feet tomorrow no matter how much we stop her."Milind lightened the situation earning a grateful smile from Sharda.

After shaking her head at her husband who ignored her,Sharda turned towards Sulochana who was sitting on the charpaai, looking down on the floor with a lost expression. Sharda was a little surprised when she did not hear a word from Sulochana at the mention of Pallavi but thought not to point it out lest she should be disappointed again at the latter's crude words.Instead she brought the tray in front of her face, silently indicating her to pick up her cup but Sulochana was too lost in her thoughts. Sharda frowned at the abnormal behaviour of her otherwise nosy sister-in-law.

"Sulochana!"

"Huh?" Sulochana blinked out of her stupor to look up at her sister-in-law. "Ha Vahini?"

"Chai !" Sharda lifted the tray again gesturing with her eyes for Sulochana to grab a cup of the two left there."Where are you lost anyway? Gift Kam Lage kya aaj ke?"

Sulochana smiled tightly at her sister-in-law before taking a cup and went ahead to comment snarkily,"Even if there were lesser gifts from other people,my brother made it up by sending a truckload of gifts.Mansi is his favourite niece afterall."

Seeing Sulochana back to her biting form,Sharda smilingly shook her head taking no offense of her childish jab.Putting the tray away on a stool,Sharda took her own cup of tea and settled on the vacant chair next to her husband.

Sharda had just taken the first sip of her delectable ginger tea,when a knock from the front door caught attention of her and her company. The main door was wide open as it usually was these days when there was rush of celebrations, rituals and guests at Deshmukh Niwas.

Sharda's eyes snapped upto the door and she felt the attention of the other three at the door as well. A bulky man dressed in all black was standing at the door a dainty white paper bag was dangling from his right hand.