24: When It Rains, It Grows

Wala pang limang minuto nang makaalis si Rain nang biglang magbukas ang pinto. I froze when I saw Elimae. Nang makapasok siya ay nakatingin lang ako sa pinto at ini-expect kung susunod ang mga pinsan ko pero ni anino nila ay hindi ko makita.

Nanatili akong nakaupo at walang imik na nakatingin sa kawalan. Biglang nag blangko ang aking isipan. Hindi ko alam kung ano ang dapat kong gagawin. Nagdasal akong sana dumating na ang mga pinsan ko.

"Sugarplum..." she spoke, breaking the tension and silence between us. Her sweet voice made my heart ache... Because the last time I heard it, her tone was the complete opposite of this. "You kept your promise," she added.

It took me a while to gather my thoughts. "Oh," I muttered. Sa pagkakatanda ko ay nangako akong dadalo sa mga beauty pageants niya noon. "Yeah."

She chuckled a bit. Nakita kong kumuha siya ng isang bote ng alak at nagsalin siya sa baso saka binigay sa 'kin. "Let's drink!"

I pressed my lips then looked at her. "I don't drink anymore."

Her lips parted. "B-Bakit? We're celebrating tonight! I just won!" masaya niyang sabi saka niya siniksik ang kanyang sarili sa akin.

I was shocked by her actions. Napagalaw ako papalayo sa kanya dahil hindi na ako sanay. Hindi niya siguro napansin ang pagkailang ko sa kanya dahil siniksik niya lang ako lalo. She took the drink that she was about to give me. Inubos niya 'yon at nagsalin ulit ng panibago.

I looked down, held my bracelet to calm myself down. The room was huge but being alone with Elimae—it made me feel uncomfortable. It felt like I got stuck and I wasn't able to go out. I took a deep breath and just forced myself to be fine—even when I wasn't.

I wanted to leave. I wanted to not care about what Elimae and my cousins would think. I just wanted to be held by Rain. I didn't like it here—but I couldn't say no. I couldn't refuse them—especially my cousins... because I loved them. So much.

I was always there for them, and I think that they might get disappointed when I would say no. This... This was painful. If Jealrain was here, she would've understood.

"Ren..." she uttered.

I took a glance at her, cleared my throat then spoke. "Yeah?"

Bigla niya akong niyakap saka siya bahagyang natawa. "I missed this," she replied. "Miss ka na namin nila Mommy at Daddy flower."

It sounded cringe to me—the way she tried to make amends with my family without them knowing. I didn't utter a word.

"Can I sleep in your place?" she asked.

"You have a house," I replied.

"But I want to spend time with you."

"We're basically neighbors."

She pulled away her hug. She looked at me, confusion was visible on her face. "But we didn't see each other for a long time."

I clicked my tongue, annoyed. "You broke up with me, Elimae."

"I know but—"

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" My forehead creased.

Her eyes widen. She wasn't expecting that. She cleared her throat. She couldn't take her eyes off me. "Gusto kong makatabi ka sa pagtulog."

"My bed is already warm," seryoso kong tugon sa kanya saka ko binalik ang tingin sa harapan. Ayoko siyang tingnan dahil pinipigilan kong magalit sa kanya.

"But mine isn't!"

"And it's my fault now, huh?"

"Yes! You didn't come back to me! I just said a few things and then boom—I suddenly lost everything!" she shouted. "You should've known that I was just stressed out! You should've known that I never meant breaking up with you! You should've fought for me!"