15. Cover-Up

15. Cover-Up

Mitch bit back a thousand questions. He refrained from demanding to know what had happened. He bit his tongue against frantically asking Scott if he was okay.

He would stop to think this time. Even if his lack of answers was killing him.

Kirstin emerged from the bathroom with a towel wrapped around the ice they had just retrieved, and Mitch took it from her hands. He took a seat gently next to him on the bed.

"May I?" Mitch asked in a whisper. Scott nodded, and Mitch raised the towel to his face, watching with a broken heart as the man winced in pain.

His eyes trailed over the bruises on Scott's neck. Some were clearly hickeys. He eyed one on the crook of Scott's neck, thinking about how his own lips had been latched onto that spot, just 24 hours ago.

But there were some bruises that were the shape of fingers, and Mitch fought a whine as he moved his own hand to rest gently there while the other held the ice in place.

Scott's eyes fluttered shut, and Mitch watched out of the corner of his eye as Kirstin grabbed Mitch's key from the dresser, waved it at him with a frown, and led Ben out of the room by the hand, in order to give them privacy.

They sat in silence for a moment, as thoughts about what could have led them here flooded Mitch's mind with dread.

"Do you need to see a doctor?" Mitch whispered, trying to keep his voice calm as his finger gently moved back and forth along Scott's stubbled jaw. "Do you need... anything looked at?"

Scott shook his head, opening his eyes slowly. "I'll be okay."

Mitch felt his own lip quivering, and he begged his emotions to stay in check. He wouldn't explode. He couldn't. He couldn't chase him away again.

Scott placed his hand over Mitch's where it held the ice, and Mitch felt a jolt of electricity as he took hold of the towel. Mitch removed his hand, wishing that he could help further.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have come back, but..."

"Scott, look at me."

Teary blue eyes met his own, and for the first time in days, they were crystal clear and full of emotion.

Unfortunately, that emotion just happened to be shame.

"Thank you for coming back here," Mitch chose to say, instead of scolding Scott for apologizing. "I was praying that you would."

He took hold of Scott's free hand, resting it in his lap as he fiddled with Scott's slightly larger fingers. "I had no idea that my petty choice to give you that check would give you the idea that I wanted you gone. I expected to come in and find you sleeping in the morning. I had... I had no idea..."

"But I... I ruined it. They found out what I am. Keeping me around would be even more humiliating for you..."

"No one who found out is going to say a word. Colt, Matt, Kevin, Kirstie and Ben, they're the only ones who know. And none of them plan on telling anyone. Ever," Mitch said, making sure to keep his tone soft and his pace slow.

Scott eyed him questioningly. "Colt..."

"...spent the entirety of today helping me try to find you." Mitch whispered.

He wanted to shake Scott by the shoulders, and yell in his ear that he was safe here. That he could be happy here.

But instead, he waited.

"Kevin and Matt kept their word, then," Scott muttered, staring at his feet.

Mitch continued to be silent, unsure of what that meant.