26. You're Going to Be Okay

Author's Note: In honor of Scott's engagement (*squeals*), it's time to wrap this one up!  So here is one final chapter for you all. Also, if I kept it moving any further I was afraid it would get stale. See A/N at the end please!

26. You're Going to Be Okay

"Don't leave. Please?" Mitch croaked, as Scott turned to approach the door again.

Thankfully, Scott hesitated, giving Mitch time to circle around him and stand between the blond and the door.

He stared into those eyes again. There was something wrong.

Very wrong.

"Talk to me. I'm begging you," Mitch whispered, feeling his voice shake.

"And say what, Mitch?" Scott asked, and Mitch noted that even his voice was different.

He was speaking slowly, like forming the words was painful.

"Anything."

Scott frowned and swayed slightly on his feet.

"Are you... drunk?" Mitch asked, but he knew that that couldn't be it. He had seen Scott drunk before. This was different. This was scary.

"I made a mistake."

Mitch bit back the retort of, 'No shit,' with all of his might, keeping his mouth shut and waiting for Scott to continue.

Much to his horror, the blank blue eyes filled with tears.

"I don't feel well," Scott said, quietly, swaying on his feet again. Mitch rushed forward before he could stop himself, gripping Scott lightly by his biceps.

"What's wrong? Tell me. Please," Mitch pleaded, wishing that he could keep his voice calm.

"I think I took something that isn't agreeing with me..." Scott replied, his eyes suddenly stony again. "I'm... I'm okay."

"You're not okay. Sit down," Mitch replied, moving Scott to sit at the edge of the bed and sinking to his knees in front of him to survey his eyes again. "What did you take, Scott?"

"I was... no. You're gonna be mad at me," Scott replied, closing his eyes.

"That ship has sailed, love. I'm furious with you."

"So, go."

"No."

"Why?"

"Because I..." Mitch's throat went dry. This was too much. But seeing Scott this way was terrifying, and he said what had been on his mind since Scott stopped responding, nearly two weeks ago. "Because I love you. I'm not going anywhere."

The words lingered in the air between them as Scott's eyes remained closed. Mitch wondered if he was falling asleep sitting up. If that were the case, perhaps he wouldn't remember this conversation and Mitch could keep at least a portion of his dignity when all was said and done.

If Scott lived through whatever the hell this was, at least.

Curiosity got the best of him, and he reached forward to place his fingers to Scott's pulse point.

And his own heart nearly leapt into his chest as he realized that Scott's pulse was slow.

"Scott, baby, look at me. Please? What did you take?"

"You mean it?" Scott asked, opening his eyes to search the brown ones in front of him for a lie.

"I've never meant anything more in my life, hun. I love you. Now please tell me what you took?"