20. It Only Gets Much Worse

Mike and Nel approached Mitch while he was getting a drink of his own, fifteen minutes later.

"Are you okay, sweetheart?" his mother's voice asked, shakily.

He fought a roll of his eyes as he turned towards her, his drink in hand. "Jessa told you?"

She nodded, her eyes shining with sympathy.

"I'm okay, Mom. I promise. We're fine. We're better off this way."

"I was... so excited for you," Nel replied, sadly.

This struck an unexpected nerve. "Why do I have to be in a relationship to be happy, anyway?"

Mike shook his head. "It's not like that, bud. We liked the guy, is all."

"Well, he's right over there," Mitch replied, taking a sip of his drink. "Go talk to him if you miss him so badly."

Perhaps it had been too long since Mitch had spoken his mind. He had been biting his tongue with Scott for the past few days, walking on eggshells, so now it was as though the floodgates had opened.

"Did it ever occur to you that I don't need to be in a relationship to feel happy? In fact, when I'm single is when I feel the happiest. I love my job. I love my life. I love my friends. Why isn't that enough for you? It certainly is enough for me."

He felt someone hovering behind him as he proceeded with his speech. He didn't turn, and instead held his mother's gaze. She backed down immediately.

"You're right, sweetie. You have so much to be proud of. So much to look forward to. I shouldn't assume that happiness only comes with having a partner. I'm sorry, love."

"He's going to be just fine, Nel," the hovering voice spoke behind him. He fought the urge to whip his head around. "Strongest guy I know. If anyone lost anything today, it was me."

He turned slowly to find Scott giving her a charming smile. She nodded with teary eyes, reaching forward to wrap Scott in a tight embrace. "I'm glad that you two still respect and care for one another. You're good together, even just as friends."

She unleashed him from her grasp and gave his arm a light squeeze before pecking her son on the cheek and turning away. Mike gave them a small sympathetic wave before following closely behind.

Mitch downed his full drink, placing it on the bar and signaling to the bartender to make another. Scott watched with narrowed eyes and a raised eyebrow.

"You didn't have to say that," Mitch muttered as he took the new glass.

"Say what?"

"That this was any sort of big loss for you."

"I lost everything today. It wasn't hard."

Mitch felt his neck heating up. He probably shouldn't have drank that so fast. It was clearly loosening his lips.

"You lost a job that was eventually going to get you killed. Or sick. Or... addicted to something."