Chapter II: Battle at Cafeteria Ridge

Nathan POV

Yang: "Honestly, I think you should take it."

We placed our trays on the table and ate as we talked. Specifically, Yang and Andi urged me to call Ozpin now and say we'll take the gig. But like last time, with the charity gig, I reminded her that if she is going to start a band somewhere down the line in the music business, it's also their call.

Andi: "This speech again, Dad?"

Me: "Uh-uh-uh, none of the sass, Andi."

Andi: "Yes, Dad~."

I rolled my eyes and shifted my focus to everyone else. We had separated for whatever reason, and we hadn't seen Ruby for nearly fifteen minutes. Blake had her nose in some notes from last year, Carsen and Weiss were talking, and Matt placed a grape between his thumb and index finger and launched the grape into his mouth. He then grabs another one and tries to do the same, succeeding for the first bit as the grape launches further into the air. As he moved his head to line with the grape, Yang caught the grape quickly. He looks at her as if she still has the grape between her teeth. She then moves the grape in her mouth and gives him a wink and her signature smile. He rolls his eyes, places his hand over his mouth, and shakes his head; he then catches a glimpse of me looking and motions his fingers toward her, mentally asking me: "You saw that, right?"

I chuckled to myself and grabbed a smaller notebook from my bag. My curiosity wouldn't let me forget about Roman, so I got Reyes to get every ounce of information she could find on him. Even hacking into the Vale PD servers to get the dirt news sites won't give. Only one known accomplice, a young woman named Neopolitan -or Neo as her file has called her. From what Reyes collected, he's the top dog for hire when it comes to getting sh*t done. He doesn't screw around, from what I've read and seen. I'll have to get Backup caught up on the criminal element on the planet. It's ironic since the Militia is littered with outlaws and other criminals. But I'll have to warn them about the White Fang.

Yang: "Hey Blake, whatchu and Nate doing?"

Blake: "Nothing. I'm just going over notes from last year."

Me: "Going over manuscripts I've written."

Yang: "Lame."

Before she said that, I saw a raspberry fly into her mouth. I looked behind me to find Nora loading another raspberry into her fork and launching it at Yang's mouth. She gave her a thumbs-up as Matt was about to launch a grape at Nora but was stopped by Ruby slamming a giant binder on the table. The original label was crossed out in red, and a new title was written under it.

Ruby: "Ahem... Sisters! Friends! Pilots! Weiss..."

Weiss: "Hey!"

Ruby: "Four score and seven minutes ago, I had a dream."

Yang: "This ought to be good." *eats another raspberry that was flown to her*

Matt: "Alright, Red, what you got?"

Ruby: "A dream that one day, the ten of us would come together as two teams and have the most fun anyone has ever had, ever!"

Weiss: "Did you steal my binder?"

Ruby: "I am not a crook." *throws up a couple of peace signs*

Upon a closer look, I noticed a red splotch on her index and middle finger. I looked at her dead in the eyes and said: "Ruby, you've been caught red-handed. Literally." She then looks at her fingers and quickly moves her hand behind her back, giving us a nervous chuckle.

Blake: "What are you talking about?"

Ruby: "I'm talking about kicking off the year with a bang!"

Yang: "I always kick my school years off with a Yang! Eh?! Guys? Am I right?"