Chapter XV: Operation - Mountain Glenn

Nathan POV - March 5, 2219

Six days later, we were ready to go. Once I filled APEX in on what was happening, my team and I spent time preparing and cleaning our guns, getting enough ammo stocked onto the shuttle, and ensuring there was enough room for thirteen people. Fifteen if you count the shuttle pilots, but they won't be sticking around the mission zone. They'll drop us off at the site and pick us up a week later, whether or not we find anything.

The day before we needed to leave, I told both teams that Matt and I would pick them up at 0600. Once I left Team RWBYs dorm, I felt a mass in the shape of a large dog practically jump onto me and make me land on my ass. I thought I was getting attacked, but the dog started to lick me like crazy. I started laughing, knowing that only one dog does this for sh*ts and giggles.

Her name's Roxy.

When I found her, she was just a pup hiding in a cardboard box from the cold

When I found her, she was just a pup hiding in a cardboard box from the cold. Flynn and Dad weren't thrilled about her, but she grew on them eventually.

We ended up playing wrestling, leading Yang to believe I was getting mauled. She tried getting Roxy off of me and nearly got her hand bitten. After calming Roxy down, I apologized to Yang and introduced the girls to her. Once Weiss tried to pet her, Roxy backed a little and softly growled. Oh, I forgot that she doesn't let anyone touch her before she sniffs you—some quirk of hers. I ask Weiss to follow my advice if she wants to pet Roxy. I ask her to move her palm and face to her. Once she does, Roxy tilts her head in curiosity and sniffs her hand. Roxy then nuzzles into her hand, giving her the okay to pet her. Once that floodgate opened, Weiss was all over Roxy. Then a Grunt was running down the hall out of breath, apologizing. He explained that once Roxy had caught a sniff of one of our scents, she wouldn't stop hounding one of them until she got to us. I laughed and said that it was no problem. This would've happened sooner or later.

Roxy had stayed on our side since.

The following morning, the shuttle was outside the Den and ready to go. Carsen sent me a text saying we have everything we need for the mission. At the moment, Matt and I were sitting in a couple of jeeps waiting for RWBY and APEX. I had the radio going and read a book from my library as I waited. There was an author back in Angel City who had a completely different writing style than any author I've read, and an exciting thing about his books is that on the back cover, he had a band's CD. I heard rumors that the author and lead singer were friends. The book I'm reading tells the story of a troubled author facing some entity of Lovecraftian (best way to describe it) proportions and some of his psychological problems. I heard that a sequel was coming before we left. It's a shame that I won't be able to see that reality any time soon.

The sounds of bags hitting against the metal brought me out of thought as I watched RWBY get in the jeep. Looking back at Matt's jeep, I noticed someone else among APEX and getting in the passenger seat. He looked exactly like Dr. Oobleck. I called Matt.