Chapter 3 - Paige

I watch through the kitchen window as Hunter is greeted by my traitorous family. Everyone had the brightest smiles as they hugged him and made conversation. I could not hear what they were saying, but someone must have mentioned to him that I was inside the house, because he suddenly turned my way. I quickly looked down at the counter as if I was doing something other than staring at that the one man who made my heart skip a beat and my brain malfunction. A few minutes later, I lifted my head towards the window and discreetly looked out into the backyard. My family was now moving around the yard getting everything in place and Hunter was nowhere in sight. Where did he go?

I turned away to find Hunter standing a few feet away from me. What the hell? When did he walk into the house?

"Holy crap!" I jumped back against the counter and placed my hand over my racing heart. I don't know if it was racing because he scared the living daylights out of me or if it's because he was standing there looking quite yummy. Either way, Hunter was making my heart race, again, just like he did in high school. I am completely hyperventilating in my mind, and I need to stop before I do it for real. I give Hunter a small smile, which he returns with one that makes the corners of his eyes crinkle. Oh look! He has dimples! Cute ones!

Jiminy Crickets! I need to get a hold of myself...and fast.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. It's good to see you, Paige." Hunter held his arms out towards me and looked at me expectantly. He was moving his fingers in a 'come here' motion and I looked at him confused. He let out a laugh and walked towards me. "Come on, Paige. You're supposed to jump into my arms and give me a hug."

"I am?"

"Yes, you are."

"I'm not doing that!" My tone sounded like he just asked me to have sex on the kitchen counter, not that I have not thought about doing that since the day I admitted to myself of having a crush on him. Hunter put his hands on his hips and continued to laugh at my reaction.

"Why not?" He walked closer to me, and I pressed myself against the counter as if the granite counter was going to swallow me up and protect me from his advances. He stops inches away from me and my body is going haywire at how close he was. I visibly swallowed my nervousness and shook my head at him.

"I've never jumped into your arms before," I say softly.

"But you could start now, can't you? It could be our thing." He gives me a small pout and puppy dog eyes, which I could not help but laugh at.

"Our thing?" I crossed my arms in front of me and smirked at him. He throws another dimpled smile at me as he nods his head emphatically. "Why do we need a 'thing'? Can't we just say 'hello 'like normal people?" He playfully rolls his eyes at me and lets out an exaggerated sigh.

"Fine. Fine. If that's what you want." He then places his hands on the counter trapping me in his arms. "Can I at least get a hug with my 'hello'?" Lord, this guy does not quit! I mimic his eye roll and sigh making him chuckle.

"Fine. Fine. If that's what you want." He wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me into a tight embrace. Because I'm so short, my face is buried in his chest, and the scent from his shirt was making my nose tingle. God! He smells so good! I should stop sniffing his shirt before he notices and thinks I've lost my mind. Suddenly, he dips down and picks me up in his arms. To my horror, my body grows a mind of its own and my legs automatically wrapped around his waist. I let out a yelp, which unexpectedly turned into a moan when he buried his face in my neck and his lips touched my skin.

Hunter's breath against my skin when he lets out a soft curse sends shivers all over my body. I felt him inhale my scent, which made me self-conscious. I did not smell nearly as heavenly as he did. I had been working all day in my dad's kitchen so I'm sure whatever perfume I am wearing is losing the scent battle to my sweat from cooking and preparing the backyard. I tried to lift my head to face Hunter, but his head was firmly nestled against my neck.