Chapter 14 - Hunter

I was seeing red.

This asshole was flirting with my Paige!

After her friend Nicole filled me in on why everyone seemed more pissed off at Dillon than normal, I decided it was time to show this piece of shit who he was messing with. I took Paige in my arms and kissed her, not caring who was around us. I dipped my hands into the back of her pants, just below the waistline, and was met with soft lace.

As soon as the fabric touched my skin, I knew this was going to be a problem for me. All I am going to think about as I get through this obstacle course is that damn lace underwear. What color is it? Is she wearing a thong or is it a bikini style underwear? How quickly could I rip it off her with my teeth? Shit! I need to stop.

I adjusted myself before I left Paige and the others to walk toward the starting line. My hard-on quickly deflated as I approached my spot. My lust for Paige was instantly replaced by anger seeing Dillon standing there switching from staring at Paige and glaring at me. I had to resist the urge to introduce my fist to his face. I took my place next to him behind the starting line. We stood there looking forward not wanting to look at each other.

"I will get her back," Dillon smirked at me. When I did not respond he continued to speak. "We have a special bond, Paige and I." This dude is delusional.

So special that she moved four states just to get away from you?" From my peripheral vision I saw his face frown up at my comment, and this time it was my turn to smirk. "Your definition of 'special' must be different than hers." He didn't answer, which meant I was getting to him.

Gary and Shaun took to the microphone and made a short speech before we started the race. As soon as Gary raised the starting gun, my focus turned to the race ahead. When the gun went off I sprinted for the tower. The crowd was cheering us on as we made our way up the stairs. Above all the noise I could hear my girl yelling.

"GO HUNTER!"

I smiled to myself when I heard her voice. Hearing her call my name, cheering me on, fueled me with energy as I pulled the rope and hose up the side of the building. I had the hose a third of the way up the building when Dillon started hoisting his up.

"WOOHOO! THAT'S IT, BABY! YOU GOT THIS!"

I glanced up and saw Paige smiling up at me cheering me on.

"Yep, your bond is so special that she called another man 'baby'," I huffed out to Dillon as we kept pulling on our ropes. Dillon's face frowned up again and I saw him pause. As soon as I pulled my hose up to the top of the tower, I quickly headed back down the stairs and made my way to the field. Dillon was closing the gap between us but not enough to beat me.

As I neared the finish line, I heard Paige's voice again telling me how close I was to the end. I gave a nod, which I hope she saw, and dug deep within myself and increased my speed. When I crossed the finish line, I dropped the mannequin and put my arms above my head to catch my breath. I smiled at the crowd and did a small wave. Dillon crossed a few seconds after me. He threw his mannequin to the ground and stormed back to the firehouse to change. What a sore loser!

Gary and Shaun walked over to me to congratulate me, as did the guys from both our firehouses. I turned to make my way to Paige when some blond woman jumped in front of me and wrapped her arms around my neck. She started to bring her face towards mine and I quickly stepped back and removed her from me.

"Excuse me?! Who are you and what are you doing?!" She smiled up at me not seeming to be bothered by the annoyance in my voice. Her friend standing next to her was giggling and elbowing her friend as if she was encouraging her to say something.