Chapter 1

This is my first Hunger Games fanfic, I hope you enjoy it!

Disclaimer: I do not own the Hunger Games, those rights are Suzanne Collins'

CHAPTER ONE: COMING HOME

The door glares back at me fiercely, as if it already knows of my dislike towards the house. As if it is sniggering back and saying I know you'll hate this. For the umpteenth time I question why I am here. And I go through the previous events of the last months in my head.

Going to see Prim and Gale for the summer all the way in State 12.

Johanna keenly organizing a share house for our final year of college, taking advantage of my absence.

Johanna going straight to Haymitch behind my back to snag a house.

Johanna forcing me into this by releasing our old college dorm.

Me being helpless, stuck in State 12.

Haymitch assuring me the house was nothing special.

Well fuck him, I think as I stare at the porch. The house is clearly something, bigger than anything my family had ever owned. The rich hue of the wooded porch is striking even from the street as is the contrast of the green door with its brass knockers. I did have to admit, it was smaller than any property he owned across the country however it was still far too extravagant. I also realized right then that the rent he is charging us is probably a third of what he could actually get. Bastard.

I'm still too much of a coward to knock on the door, or simply walk in as it is now officially my house. I was afraid of what was waiting inside for me, or what would come out of this. In hindsight I had a right to be.

Johanna had told me little about our new roommate, Finnick's friend from State 5. Partly because I had only returned today and partly because I refused to listen. However I did know this; his name was Peeta, he was 21 like the rest of us, and he was very sporty. He was blonde and apparently good looking however I couldn't care less about that. He'd been living in the house for one month with the others already and would be studying business at the university.

Oh, and his last name was Mellark. That simple fact made his father practically a millionaire when you came across the string of Mellark bakeries and various other companies that sat across the country. Much like Haymitch and his houses. This immediately spelled trouble to me and I was now definitely not inclined to meet the new rich boy staying with us for the year.

Very slowly, I lift my hand and wrap it around the brass knob, turning it, and letting the door swing in. I stand on the porch and take in the scene. The house is mainly wooden floorboards which I have to admit I like. It reminds me of the woods back home. A long hall stands in front of me and I can see the kitchen at the back of the house. Flurries of voices float from it.

You'd think I was headed for my death the way my boots thumped morosely against the floorboards. When I'm a few feet from the kitchen archway I see Johanna's short cropped hair pop into sight.

"Hey! You made it!" She says loudly, as usual.

Johanna Mason, my college roommate for the last 3 years, attacks me in a vice like hug. It was definitely a love hate relationship between us a large amount of the time. I'd met her just as I started first year, as we were both becoming lost on the huge campus. She'd all but forced me to dorm with her and that was that. And here we are now 3 years later sharing a house with our friend, the "insatiable" Finnick Odair and some punk named Mellark.

"I told you I'd be here." I tell her grumpily looking over at the boys. Finnick was wearing his usual million dollar smile and Peeta was doing much the same. But where Finnick simply gave me a wave, Peeta felt the need to leave the table and shake my hand, introducing himself.