Chapter 19, Advancement

It took Lerris over half a year before he could finish training and organizing his Training Command, and during the final months of their training, he had them train on using the newer repeating rifles and pistols. At the same time, Lerris began finalizing his plans on how he would organize the Queen's Royal Guards. On paper, he basically plans to build two infantry division and a cavalry division based loosely on the Square Division of the US Army.

The Infantry Division would consist of three infantry regiment, a cavalry regiment, an artillery battalion and the divisional headquarters battalion. Each infantry regiment would consist of twelve rifle companies, a mortar company, and a headquarters company while the cavalry regiment will be similarly organized into twelve companies less the mortar company. The artillery battalion would be organized into three artillery batteries of six field guns per battery, and would be put under the direct command of the division commander. The divisional headquarters would organize into a headquarters company, an ordnance company, a quartermaster company, a mess company which will operate a mobile field kitchen, a medical company, an intelligence company which consist of two mounted reconnaissance platoons, a communication platoon which consist of mounted messengers, and a guard's company which falls under the direct command of the divisional commander.

The Cavalry Division is similarly organized as the Infantry Division, except the whole division is mounted on horse. But this division was slated to be organized only after the first two infantry division was organized, formed and trained.

Lerris wanted the Training Command to begin their recruitment, but the harsh winter that season forced him to postponed the move until Spring. But that also gave him time to focus more on weapons development and designing the uniform.

At his first day returning to the Royal Armory, Bettina met with him and presented him with the plans made by various departments, and reminded him that those plans that they submitted are in response to his challenge months ago for anyone who can come up with a new design and passed his scrutiny, would earn a reward.

Lerris took the plans with him and went to his own office where he spends the next ten days carefully studying each plan. Most of the plans came from the small arms department and ordnance department, and some came from the heavy weapons department, advance mechanics department and even the Quartermaster department which is formerly the garments factory. After carefully reading each plan, Lerris manage to separate those that that looks promising, to the ones that actually may work, and the rest he had to put aside as they were either too ridiculous or too impractical to make, like the three barreled cannon, or a six barreled rifle that looks eerily like the infamous but useless Nock gun, or the carriage mounted thirty-barrel gun which looks similar to a volley gun. There is even a giant cannon that looks like a bombard, firing a three-foot diameter stone ball. And his favorite, a gun straight out from a concept of steam punk that was a craze back in his world, a six barreled revolver rifle with the barrel and the revolver cylinder being as one, but the problem with this gun is not only its weight which is unarguably a complete waste of good steel, plus the fact that it would take more man hours to make the revolving barrel cylinder.

Among those he was considering was a formula and process designed by one of his female alchemists in making a TNT explosive. Her process was like a copy of what he had read about processing a TNT, although the terminologies she used was different, like sulfuric acid which she calls oil of vitriol and nitric acid which is spirit of niter. The only real difference is the source of toluene, which on her thesis or concept, she uses benzine and process it chemically to produce toluene, and then she proposes processing the toluene which she now calls benzine extract, until she gets the final product. On her final notes, she indicated that the compound does cause irritation on skin and suggest that it could be toxic like some of the poisonous plants that grows in the region, but she concludes that the compound can be used as an alternate source of explosive charge for either the rifled grenades or explosive shells.