Chapter 19

The Wrath of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 19

Southern Panchal, Dwapar Yuga

Karna POV

"Do you think Jiji will accept me whole heartedly?", Supriya said in a soft voice, her head was resting on my chest.

I heaved a sigh. We were lying on our bed in our tent. Supriya covered herself with a bed sheet after we made passionate love to each other. But my archer's eyes didn't miss the marks of nails in her torso, caused by Kichaka. I didn't know why, but after rescuing her from the lusty grip of that vile man, I felt that I had some connection to her. I felt that I knew her from my previous life. I even knew her name without even hearing it for once.

Supriya was still looking at me with a small smile. But I could feel that my silence was making her uncomfortable. To tell the truth, even I was a little bit afraid to face Vrushali now. The silence between us was becoming so thick, that one could cut it with a knife.

"I know Vrushali from my childhood. She is a soft hearted woman. If her mind somehow filled up with anger, then I can assure you, that the anger will be directed at me, not you."

"Then I will stand between her anger and you like that golden armour in your body, I promise."

I smiled a little. I knew that my life was cursed. I knew that Adhiratha and Radha were my foster parents. I knew that my real parents had abandoned me. But I could not resist the call of my blood, and wanted to be a warrior. I received knowledge of warfare and archery, after getting cursed by my own teacher. But, in my cursed life, I would be forever grateful to Surya Narayana because he gave me great friends like Duryodhana and Ashwatthama, great parents like my foster parents, and great better halves like Vrushali and Supriya.

After adjusting my dress, I stood up. I took a pot of water and drank some of it. Then I was going to pass the water to my wife, when a loud voice entered into my ear.

"Everybody be alert! WE ARE UNDER ATTACK!!"

That was the voice of Duryodhana! Some fools had the audacity to attack us like cowards in midnight. But this would be their last foolishness! I turned my head and saw her standing beside me, my bow and quiver were ready in her hands.

Then we both heard another voice, which send a cold shiver through our spine.

"Everyone, remember that our prime target is the Rajkumari of Kalinga. Maharaja Drupad promised to shower the one with diamonds who will present him with the severed head of Duryodhana's wife. Attack, comrades!"

"Stay here!", I took the weapons from her and came outside of our tent. I saw my Mitra was surrounded by at least ten dark figures, with weapons in their hand. In a swift motion, I joined two arrows in my bow, and the next moment, two attackers fell down on the ground.

"Karna! I can handle them! Go and check on Priya. She is their target."

I nodded and ran towards his tent. In my way, I saw both Dussasan and Ashwatthama fighting with the enemy. The attackers were a lot in numbers. I couldn't even believe that a king like Drupad could apply such cowardly measures. But, he tried to burn the grains of Kuru kingdom.

I quickly suppressed all the stray thoughts. This was not the right time. But when I reached in front of Duryodhana's tent, a piercing scream of a woman entered my ears. I froze for a moment after hearing the sound, because I knew that voice very well.

Then I heard another voice.

"Supriya, what have you done?", This was the voice of Rajkumari Devapriya, but her voice followed with another scream. I ran inside the tent and a horrified scene unfolded in front of my eyes.

I saw Supriya lying on the floor, with a knife stabbed in her back. Rajkumari Devapriya sat beside her on the ground, placing my wife's head in her lap. She was injured too. A long slash was in her left cheek, and her left shoulder was also injured. Beside them, the dead body of an attacker was lying on the ground, with a sword in his torso.

"Supriya!", I ran towards her and sat beside her, gently cupping her face, tears were automatically flowing from my eyes.

"Angraaj, watch out!", Rajkumari screamed suddenly, and in the next moment, I felt my golden armour coming out and a weapon touched it and broke. I slowly turned around and saw an attacker standing there, with a broken sword in his hand and a fearful look in his eyes. The next moment, an arrow pierced him. The man fell down like a log, and I saw Ashwatthama standing beside him, with his bow in hand.

"Supriya, stay with us!", Rajkumari shouted fanatically. I turned my head and saw her eyes closing. Her face was now becoming a pale blue colour. I saw a small amount of foam coming out from her lips.

Poison!

"No, no, no Supriya, stay with me! You can't leave me, after indebting me with my life. Angraaj, the knife was thrown at me, but my Sakhi shielded me with her body."

I was numbly listening to her. In my arms, her face was getting colder with each passing moments.

"Angraaj, stay with her. I am not going to leave her to Yam raja. I will fight for her until my last breath. Guruputra, arrange some hot water quickly. "

I was sitting with her head on my lap, slapping her cheeks softly to prevent her from succumb out in the effect of the poison. Suddenly, she opened her eyes and looked straight at me.

"Aryaputra!"

"Ssshh..I am right here. Do not speak."

She took a painful breath, a little amount of blood came out of her lips.

"Tell Jiji that she should not get too much angry on you, this is the last request of her little sister. Also, tell her that it is my bad luck that I didn't get the chance to meet her."

Then she closed her eyes.

So, this is chapter 19. Please read, vote and comment.

Due to some job exams, I cannot update until the end of this month. But, do not worry. My exam ends in 27th march, so you all can expect another update after that.

And at last, Happy Holi to all my readers. Enjoy, but stay safe.