(58) Darkness

The world felt encased in darkness

As if a huge black hole had sucked every happy, colourful, and pleasurable thing leaving behind darkness and destruction in its wake.

That's what a world without my mother felt like.

I'm trying to be brave, be strong, hold onto all the good memories and happy thoughts like everyone so sympathetically advised me to do, and I'll give a small smile and an encouraging nod to ease their concerns and make them leave me alone.

But I don't want to be strong, I don't want to think of the happy times with my mother and I don't want to move on.

I want to scream.

I want to scream till my voice cracks and cry till my eyes bleed and destroy everything.

But I don't.

Because apparently, it's not appropriate etiquette when losing one's parent, as if it's an overreaction after having to watch my demon-infested boyfriend rip out my mother's heart.

"Amen," Simon mutters, his voice coming out in shaky waves.

I lift my wandering eyes and manage a small, grateful smile, Clary beside me mirroring the same expression. And I was grateful for the candle and Simon's broken Hebrew, it felt like a cosy ceremony to have in honour of mom.

"I don't know what to say" Clary whispers, her throat tight and words harsh. I frown, my hand coming up and gripping hers, and we stare at each other for a moment, grief and sorrow intertwining between us.

"Was my Hebrew really that bad?" Simon says, attempting to lighten the air with a thinly veiled joke.

"I wish we could get a hold of Luke" I sigh, running a hand over my face, the ache of sleep deprivations weighing me down.

"Your mom meant everything to him." Simon mutters quietly, frowning "He probably just needs time to process."

"He always tells us when he goes out of town... I'm just worried" Clary exhales, leaning back on the unruly sofa of Simon's container.

"When you died Si... I felt like dying, the pain was..." I don't finish the sentence, my body shivering with the reminder of that pain and the grief of losing someone I loved.

"Really?" Simon asked in disbelief, and I laugh bitterly, shaking my head.

"Of course," I exclaim, laughing hollowly, "Your family Simon, you've always been family".

"Simon, I... I couldn't think of life without you." Clary whispers, her eyes watering, but then she stops her eyes falling to me and then back to Simon again "But I got you back."

I pause brow furrowing at the suggestion and confusion filling me.

"Simon was dead!" Clary exclaims, turning to me with wild eyes.