Chapter 22 - The Fall

TW// character death, mention of torture, panic attacks, violence, blood, just a normal monday on dsmp

~•~•~•~

Dream's body broke through the raindrops. You watched him fell down, it felt like you were completely frozen. Your eyes were locked on him, tunnel vision blocking off any other stimuli that could had brought your attention away.

It still hadn't hit you.

You might be the one responsible for Dream's death.

In a flash, a thought crossed your mind, reminding you that it wasn't completely over yet.

You scrambled for the clock, which had somehow magically remained in your palm as you fought.

You returned to headspace.

Dream was kneeling on the ground next to a blurred memory, blood dripping down from his mouth's corner, and clutched his chest tightly. As he saw you head towards him, he stood up, trying to look unshaken by the whole ordeal.

"Accept it. You've lost, Dream." Your voice boomed in the dark void.

Your opponent sneered and spun his two swords. "It can seem like it. But even if... you will lose with me."

"Why do you think so?" You retaliated, curious about his reasons.

"I still have the revival book. If I go down... no one could ever go back to life."

He- doesn't know about Wilbur? Better to keep it that way.

You smiled. "You're right. But I think..." Your gaze lingered at the pulsating crystal in the middle of your spear's blades. "...it's better for all of us to- get rid of the revival book."

The mocking smirk, which he had pulled out a while back, slowly left his front. His games weren't going to work on you.

"(Y/n), I know you- you care about power. Who else can offer a better deal than me, (y/n)? Who?" Dream said through gritted teeth, wiping off blood from his mouth with the back of his hand.

"You'll see soon, Dream. Just wait." Your spear pushed him back.

"You're so unpredictable. Sometimes you tell others you're on my side, then you're on the other... That's why I liked you from the beginning..."

Suddenly, a new voice spoke from behind.

"That is why I like you too, (y/n). Unpredictability- the most defining attribute of a human being." A spark bouncing off Wilbur's glasses caught your eye. He was here, again.

"Wilbur." Dream coldly stated, his mask glaring at the opposing glasses.

"You're a big shot, (y/n)." Wilbur ignored Dream and stepped by your side. You waited a bit to see if Wilbur wanted to add anything, but as silence came, you decided to take it into your own hands.

"So, Dream... If you want to know why this happened... Give me your weapons. Drop them." You hissed. Inner workings of this headspace were still a bit unknown, so you weren't exactly sure if weapons here could result in real life injuries. Better be safe than nothing.

The Puppeteer hesitated. Then, with loud pounding, both of his swords clashed against the dark ground. They both instantly changed into their scissor state right as they touched the void.

You warily picked them up, your spear still aiming at Dream's chest. "The reason you say... It took me a long time to realize Dream, but- in my Afterlife- there was a TV. And that TV- it showed me everything I needed. It showed me the span of my... mistakes." You finally admitted, voice low.