Chapter 4

"Pay attention, Coran! Focus on all your senses at once, let them guide you! And stop trying to brute force through everything, you're not invincible!"

It was a hot day, and despite the fans going full speed, sweat was dripping off me in gallons. A week had passed, and I dived head first into training.

"I am," I snapped, "I could probably beat you if you weren't so damn fast. I vote the glider out, very unfa-" I was cut off as Norman knocked my on my ass for the fifth time. I groaned in frustration, glaring up at him. I never would have guessed the small man was such a difficult opponent.
"Fine," he sighed, hopping off the machine and setting it in the corner. "But I'm not going easy on you anymore."
"That was going easy?!"

I picked myself up off the floor, readying myself once more. This time I would win. I felt a small boost of confidence, I was taller and generally bigger than him, I definitely could beat him.
I was quickly sobered though as I realized this man was still fast. I may have the size and weight advantage, but he slipped right past my blows. I soon found myself on the defensive side again. This continued for a couple more blows before I started getting annoyed. Not as much at him, but myself for being so easy to overwhelm. I blocked another punch from him and without thinking, threw myself forward. Norman grunted in surprise when I tackled him to the ground. Before he could counter-attack, I pinned his head to the ground. "Just stay down," I panted, "This is the first break through I've had since we started. Just this once, stay down."

Norman hesitated, I could see he wanted to continue, but to my relief he agreed. "Amazing job, Coran. You'll be ready for a mission in no time."
I huffed, standing up. "Right. You've been saying that for a week." I offered him a hand and he took it, letting me help him to his feet.
He chuckled. "I'm serious this time. If you can manage to pin me to the ground, you can do good on a mission. Let's stop here for now. Octavious,  Constantine, and Edith should be back soon."

When we first arrived, Norman informed me that the three other members of the pack were out on a bit of a longer mission. (Every now and then they'd get a weeks long mission, usually spying on some kind of gang.) We had come back to an empty den, as Norman like to call it. "Might as well have fun with names since we're associated with dog or wolves, right?" He had laughed when I gave him a weird look. The Den was a large house on the outskirts of New York City. It wasn't fancy or anything, but it was big enough to house a couple of people. When I first claimed an empty room, I was greeted by their golden-eyed white cat, who's name was Deo. Deo took an immediate liking to me, and watched from the desk as I had unpacked the small amout of belongings I had.

I took a rag that was hanging on one of the posts holding up the large pavilion. This was where we trained, outside because it helps get me used to unfavorable weather. Wiping the sweat off my face, I glanced back over at Norman, who was already heading back inside with his glider. I waited a moment, listening. I had subconsciously started this habit, every now and then I'd stop what I was doing and close my eyes, allowing my senses to reach as far as they could. Being able to hear everything around me could be annoying at times, yes, but it really did have its uses. Plus it wasn't a constant thing, like some people would think. Everything fades into background noise unless I focus on wanting to hear. I smiled as I listened, enjoying the sound of the birds and the cars in the distance.

A meow came from beside me, and I opened my eyes again to look at Deo sitting beside me.
"Hey there bud, whatcha up to?"
Deo accepted head scritches from me before padding over to the door. He looked back at me as if to say, well? You coming or not?
I huffed lightly in amusement as I followed him in. He passed my room and stopped by the bathroom, turning to sit and stare at me.
"Are you telling me to shower? I don't stink that bad yet, do I?" I wrinkled my nose at the feline, who simply stared back at me. I chuckled and went to my room to grab some clean clothes.