Someone That Understands

*A Year Later*

Wednesday, October 8

I walked into class. As I made my way to my seat, Andy, who sat next to me on my right, waved at me. He did that everyday. And sometimes he'd asked me if I was okay. Some days I completely ignored him, but sometimes I waved back and said something. Today was one of those days.

I waved at him.

"Day six that you've waved at me," Andy said in his extremely deep voice. I've always liked the sound of it.

"You count the days I wave at you?" I asked.

"Of course. It's rare when you do it, so I like to know when you do it. You usually do it at least twice a week."

He started it of sweet, but then it ended up weird.

Hannah walked into class. She sat in front of Andy. Everyone knows that she has a crush on Andy, even Andy himself. But I can tell Andy doesn't like her. I didn't think anyone liked Hannah and I'm not even saying in that way. I'm just saying as a person. She always started fights and arguments. And she'd get mad when you tried to avoid her, because you didn't want to fight her. She was way too fiery and way too sensitive.

"Hey, Andy," Hannah said in a light, airy voice.

I rolled my eyes. I don't know why she said it like that. It's not going to make Andy like her.

"Hey," Andy said.

Hannah glanced at me. "Oh, hey, Danielle."

"Yeah, hey," I said. Every part of my being wanted to rip her to shreds.

"I thought you two were friends," Andy said.

"We are," Hannah said.

I wasn't her friend. But I wasn't ready to start an argument right now.

"You don't act like it," Andy said.

"Danielle doesn't either," Hannah said.

"Destroy her."

The serpent in my head was awake and ready. He was slithering up my throat. He was threatening to spill out of my mouth. I didn't feel like fighting it. That's when the serpent usually showed up, when I was weak and tired.

The bell rung.

"Everyone take a seat," Mr. Jones said.

The serpent slid back down and disappeared for now.

At lunch, I was sat with my friends like I usually would. Sometimes in the middle of lunch, Andy would come say 'hi' to me. Today, Andy walked by and waved at me before sitting at the table three tables in front of mine where his friend where sitting.

"Andy is so cute!" Hannah cried.

"He's okay," Maia said.

"He's so going to ask me out one day."

"If you think it's going to happen," Scarlett said, "maybe you should ask him out."

"No, he has to do it."

I noticed Scarlett rolling her eyes. Scarlett had a hard time controlling her irritation with Hannah, like me. But Anna was the worse at of all my friends. One wrong word could make her snap.

"He talks to Danielle a lot," Reina said.

Hannah looked at me. "That's right. Has he ever said anything about me?"

"I never really have a full out conversation with him," I said.

"Well, you should. And mention me. Do it for your friend."