We'll Get Her Back

Thursday, October 16

I walked into English class. Andy waved at me. I didn't wave back, but I did smile at him.

"How are you?" Andy asked.

"I'm okay," I said.

"You know I'm worried about you."

"About what?"

"Ever since I saw the blood on your shirt."

"I don't want to talk about that."

"I feel like you should. It's not good to bottle it in."

"Just drop it, Andy. I don't want to talk about it."

He looked at me for a second longer before looking away.

Hannah came into class. "Hey, Andy," she said.

"Hey," Andy said.

"Hey," I said.

Hannah looked at me and glared. The serpent smiled a little bit.

"Your learning how to cause mayhem on your own."

I was surprised me that the serpent finally showed up. But that's how he is sometimes; he'll disappear for days and reappear when he felt the need to.

It disgusted me that the serpent was happy about what I did. Anything that made the serpent happy, I tried to avoid. But he was with me too long, and I got adjusted to his ways. I started acting like him without realizing it. At this rate, I'll end up like Hannah saying hurtful things to everyone and turning on them at any time.

I didn't realize I was having a mini panic attack, until Andy said something.

"Are you okay, Danielle?" Andy asked.

I tried taking a deep breath. "Yeah." I placed my hand over my heart. It was pounding. It wasn't going to stop anytime soon.

"Are you sure?" Concerned filled this eyes.

I wanted to shake my head, but the serpent wouldn't let me. I couldn't fight it because I was too weak. The serpent made me spit out a sentence.

"Yes, I'm fine."

Not believing me, Andy took my hand and held it. He held it, until my breathing slowed down and I took my hand off my heart.

"Better?" Andy asked.

I nodded. "Thank you." Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Hannah giving me a look. I could tell what she was saying through that look. She saw how much Andy cared about me. But she was saying you have a boyfriend already, don't go around and get other boys.

The bell rung.

People who needed to finish their stories were given there time right now. Andy handed our paper in already.

"Andy," I said. "Do you still have that sketch I drew for the story?"

"Yeah," Andy said. "It's in my room. Do you want it back?"

"No, you can have it, if you want. But why'd you put it in your room?"

He smiled at me. "To remind me of you."

At lunch, I actually went into the cafeteria. But I didn't sit with my friends. I sat with Andy and his friends.

"You came to join us," Andy said.

"Not very fond of spending my lunch with a floor," I said.

Andy smiled. "Well, these are my friend. As you can see they're so into their games."