Danielle

Friday, October 10

I walked into class. Andy waved at me.

I smiled a little and waved back. "Hey."

"Seven," Andy said.

I smiled even more.

"This is the most I've seen you smile. I love it. You look beautiful."

I tried to fight back a smile, but I couldn't. He was so sweet.

"Are you and Kaiden dating?" Andy asked.

I was taken back a little. "No. Why are you asking?"

"It just seems like you two are, since you're so close."

"Yeah, but he hasn't asked me out."

"If I was him, I would've done it a long time ago. You're too amazing to not have."

I smiled.

Hannah came in the classroom. She looked between Andy and I. I could tell she was holding in her anger, since her face grew red and her hands were balled up at her sides. She went to her desk without a word said to either of us.

The bell rung.

Mr. Jones didn't have to tell us to get to work, because everyone went to their partners. Andy slid his desk over to mine.

"I drew a sketch of the main character," I said.

"You can draw?" Andy asked.

"Yeah, I'm okay." I took out the picture from my bag and handed it to him.

"This is amazing." I saw a light grow in his eyes. It reminded me of a child getting a present they wanted.

"It's just a sketch. The only thing I colored was the eyes."

"It's great. It looks like me, though."

"Yeah, that's what I thought. I was trying to imagine the character differently, but I couldn't. All I could think about was...you."

Andy looked at me. I didn't meet his eyes. I was afraid what I'd find there.

"So who's going to be the one to help him?" I asked, changing the subject as quick as I could.

"I was thinking of a girl," Andy said. "That's kind of short. She's got long brown hair. She's got the most amazing eyes I've ever seen, even though they're only brown. But there's just something about her eyes. And her smile lifts my spirit. It's just so beautiful. And she doesn't think she's beautiful, but I think so."

As he went along, I knew he was talking about me. There was no one else he could've been talking about.

I couldn't find any words to say. Anything I thought of saying would make me look like a stuttering idiot.

"You look so...surprised," Andy said.

"I'm not," I lied. "I just trying to process something."

"So, how do you want start the story?"

"I don't know, maybe like him about to save someone."

"Maybe the girl that saves him."

"And that's how their story begins."

At lunch, Hannah kept talking to me about the relationship I had with Andy.

"You two are really close," Hannah said.

I smiled a little. "We're not that close," I said.

"Your smile says otherwise."

I thought about this morning and fought back a smile.