Broken

Monday, October 20

When I was walking down the hallway to English, I saw Kaiden. He was with his friends in a big circle. They were laughing. He looked happy. He met my eyes. He scowled at me. I would've rather die than have to see him like that. I walked to English class, wiping away tears.

I was still crying, when I sat at my desk.

"Are you okay?" Andy asked.

I shook my head. "I saw Kaiden."

Andy looked at me and took my hands. "You don't need him. You've got me. Remember what we shared on Sunday, twice."

I smiled a little, thinking about our kisses.

"I may not be yours, but we still shared something special."

At lunch, I was going to sit with Andy, but I didn't see him at his table. I went out into the hall to try to find him. I passed the office and saw Andy sitting there. I walked in.

"Andy," I said. "Why are you in the office?"

"I got in a fight," Andy mumbled.

"I can't even tell."

He lifted his hands up showing his bloody knuckles. "It's because I was the one throwing most of the punches."

"Who were you fighting?"

"Kaiden."

"My best friend, Kaiden!?"

"He was saying things about you. I wanted to shut him up. He threw the first punch, but I made the most damage. You might want to reconsider your choice in friends."

I wanted to say something, but I couldn't.

Science was worthless without Kaiden and Andy. I kept thinking about what Andy said. He fought for me against my best friend. Andy was special to me and I didn't want to lose him.

When I got home, my parents were on the couch. They looked like they were waiting for me.

"Are you waiting for me?" I asked.

"Yes," my mom said.

I sat on the chair that was facing the couch. "What's up?"

"Your father and I decided that were not as alike as we thought we are."

"Are you telling me you're getting a divorce?"

They didn't say anything.

"What about the door?" I asked, looking at my dad.

He met me with the saddest look in his eyes. He was broken. Mom had broken him to build herself up.

"Mom, you made the wrong decision," I said. "How can you ignore the smile you had yesterday?It lit up your whole face. It was the first time I saw you alive in a while. You've been working so hard all the time, you're like a zombie. But when you were actually opening up to dad, you were alive again. I miss that. I miss you, mom. But if a divorce is where you want to go, I won't stop you." I left the house. I didn't know where I was going, but my body knew.

I knocked on Andy's front door. Andy opened the door.

I did something I thought was weird. I kissed Andy. It wasn't just a calm and collected kiss. It was one where I pounced on him. I literally jumped into his arms and kissed him.

He pulled away. "Danielle," he said, out of breath, "what's wrong?"

"My parents they're getting a divorce."

Andy put me down. "How's kissing me fixing it?"

I looked away. "It took my mind off of it."

He tilted my chin up to look at him. "You can't just keeping kissing me and leaving us at just friends."

I smiled a little. "I'm sorry. I'll go."

"No, wait. I'm sorry. I-just...stay."

"Only for a little while, or my parents will start sending out the police force to find me."

Andy chuckled. "I'm suspended for three days."

"Same for Kaiden?"

Andy nodded.

"Three days without you, I'm going to miss you."

Andy smiled at me. "I'll miss you, too."

"I should go."

"See you in three days."

"It'll be the longest three days ever."

When I got home, my parents were still in the same spot I left them.

"Danielle," my mom said. "You're home."

"Yeah," I said. "Don't worry. I just went to Andy's house."

"I thought about what you said."

"And?"

"I'm willing to work things out for the both of you. And I won't be working as much."

I smiled. "Really?"

My mom nodded.

I went over to them and hugged the both of them. "I love you."

"We love you, too," my parents said.