Switching Sides

Wednesday, October 15

I walked into English class. Andy was reading a Spider-Man comic. He was so into it, he didn't waved at me.

"Is that a new comic you got?" I asked.

Andy looked up at me, surprised, probably because I disturbed him.

"Sorry, if I disturbed you," I said.

"No, it's okay," Andy said. "But yeah, I got his comic from my grandparents. It was one of the comics I wanted but I couldn't afford. It's a early birthday present."

"When's your birthday?"

"Saturday, I'm having a party."

"That's nice."

"Yeah, you can come, if you want. It's going to be at my house."

"I'll see if I can come."

"By the way, as my friend, you're obligated to give me a present even if you don't come."

I laughed. "I'm not getting you a present."

Hannah came in the class. She saw Andy and I sharing a laugh. She scowled at us before going to her seat.

Andy smiled at me. "It's okay, if you don't get me one."

The bell rung. Andy slid his desk over to mine. He handed me the typed up story. There were a few mistakes, but other than that, it was great.

At lunch, I went into the hallway like yesterday. Anna and Scarlett came to sit with me.

"Hannah keeps talking about you, believe it or not," Scarlett said.

"Why?" I asked.

"She said that she doesn't understand why you wouldn't want to be her friend."

"I'll explain to her one of these days."

"I mean, it's not that hard to understand."

"Yeah, but she's not always that smart," Anna said.

I laughed.

I saw Andy come out of the cafeteria. He was about to walk to the bathroom, but he saw Anna, Scarlett, and me sitting on the floor and came over to us.

"So this is where you've been?" Andy asked.

"Yeah," I said. "Just me and the floor."

Andy smiled, running his fingers through his hair. "If you want, you can sit with me and my friends."

"It would make Hannah mad. But I don't know if I want to do that just yet."

"Okay, but if you want to sit with us just come over." He walked back over to the bathroom.

"You two would be so cute as a couple," Scarlett said.

"They totally would," Anna said.

"I'm with Kaiden," I said.

"I'm sorry to say this, Danielle," Scarlett said, "but I don't like you two together.

Neither did I. But I didn't say that out loud.

"But if your happy, I'm happy," Scarlett said.

That's the thing. I wasn't happy in this forced relationship. But everyone thought I was because of the fake smiles.

I walked to Science. I sat in my seat next to Kaiden.

"Did you ask your parents?" Kaiden asked.

"Oh, I forgot," I lied. I didn't want to ask them. I didn't even want to go.

"But I'll ask them tonight. I promise."

After class, Kaiden and I walked to the buses.

"If my parents do say yes," I said, "what would we be doing on this date?"

"I was thinking a walk in the park," Kaiden said.

"That'd be nice."

"Yeah, that's me: the romantic." He smiled at me.

I smiled back. He kissed me on the cheek before letting me go to my bus.

When I got home, my dad was on the couch watching baseball.

"Did you find a door?" I asked.

"No," my dad said. "I built my own."

I smiled a little. "Are you guys talking?"

"A little. A few words are said here and there."

"I'm proud of you."

"I'm trying."

"I have something to ask you."

"What?"

"Is okay if I go out with Kaiden Friday?"

"I'm fine with it."

"Okay, thanks."

I went upstairs to my room. I sent Kaiden a text, telling I could go out with him on Friday.

When I was doing my homework, there was a knock at my door. I turned it see who it was. My mom was there. She came in my room and sat on my bed.

"So, you're getting closer with your dad?" my mom asked.

"I guess," I said. "He is my dad."

She frowned a little.

"I still love you, mom."

"That's not what worries me. It's the fact that he might hurt you, too."

"Have you ever tried to look at it from his perspective?"

"What? For leaving me every night for some other women."

"Dad is too loyal to do that." I surprised that I was defending my dad. A week before I would've been on my mom's side.

"He's gotten to you too soon."

"Mom."

She shook her head before leaving my room.

She's so hurt, she's not seeing reality. Her mind is fuzzy. She's not being herself. I need to help her.

At dinner, I watched and listened as my dad tried building his door. My mom would respond with a few words or not say anything at all. I just wanted everything to go back to normal, but I knew with my mom acting the way she is, it'd never happen.