The Stranger

Chapter 2

The Stranger

Echo studied the stranger for a second before smirking inwardly at herself. She did not worry for, she knew that they could do nothing of it. What would they say? They saw a girl chop off a man's head with a sword; that would sound absurd. She turned on her heels and picked up the head and body of the man and chucked it into the bushes. She would return for it later and dispose of it properly while no one was watching. Turning she looked at the dark space of the parking lot where she saw the man and he appeared to have left.

She cleaned her sword which was dirty and crusted with dried blood, and stashed it underneath her jacket where it lay snug. 

"What exactly are you doing?"

Echo was momentarily surprised at hearing a voice quite close by, but regained her composure back in an instant. Surly not showing any hint of her surprise to the stranger behind her.

"Nothing of interest." She responded smoothly while turning. The man was tall, and had broad shoulders and a hooded jacket, she knew that this was the man she had seen earlier and as before his jacket concealed his facial features.

"Ah, but it is. You see, this is a matter not taken lightly with me...for that man is of my kind." So he was a vampire, she thought, how convenient.  

"Very well, what do you plan on doing about it?" She said briskly. She had not planned on taking on two of them tonight but she would manage just as she would have, the other times.

The man extended his arm out as if to grab her shoulder, but she was quick, and smoothly stepped out of reach of his touch. He flashed the smile he had earlier, showing his amusement and interest in her agility, but other than that, he showed no sign of any other emotion he was feeling.

"You are different from humans...why is that?" He asked with small curiosity brimming in his voice. "What makes you think I'd share any information of myself to a stranger who is also a vampire." She said sharply. He smiled in response and sighed as if he was expecting such an answer.

Slowly she reached under her jacket; her fingertips brushing against the edge of her sword's handle. She grabbed hold swung the blade out and over her head. His face was caught in surprise but not for long as he darted back and missed the blades sharp edge by seconds. He gave her an incredulous look that was disbelieving and appalled at her choice of action. She laughed inwardly at his expression that he quickly hid away and rushed at him again.

This time he was more prepared... He lashed out and the blade flew from her grasp clanging against the hard gravel as it landed several feet away. This made her nervous, yet did not falter her. She stepped and attempted to swing his legs out from underneath him, but when this did not work, she restored to giving him a shove to his chest which sent him back several feet.

She smiled for she knew she was making a point of just how strong she really was, and proving to this man that she was no force to be reckoned with.

 "You are quite daring, but you forget... I am a vampire and therefore... whatever you may be...I have advantages, you don't." He said with an edge to hid voice. And with that he took a few steps back, while giving her a meaningful look which seemed to warn her, and disappeared.

 Sighing she gathered her sword and smoothed her hair off her face. 'You stupid girl.' she thought to herself. 'How could you be so slow and careless?' She huffed out in frustration at herself and slid onto her shiny sleek bike and started it. She listened to the slow rumbling of it come to life and took off towards her apartment.

  She opened the door of her apartment and walk in leaving it dark. It was a habit of hers that she kept because she liked the comfort to the dark enveloping her. Sighing again, she walked out onto the balcony and breathed the crisp air of the cold night, but turned suddenly at the sound of her haunting ring tone which alerted her of a call.

 "Theron," She responded in her cool voice. "Why have you called?"

 "Its been awhile my darling, how about a visit to an old friend?" He said in that dangerous tone of his.

 "...Very well." She said. She hung up the phone and sucked in an uneven breath. She knew this was a bad idea, but she did not want to give him the satisfaction of knowing he made her uneasy. She changed out of the clothes and into a black tank top and jeans, but still kept the boots. Snatching her keys off the hook, she slammed the door of her apartment. It seemed...like this was going to be a long night.