10: A Lapse In Memory

|A year ago|

Genya knew he shouldn't be so angry all the time.

Instead, he should be feeling somewhat proud. He had become a demon hunter.

However, it only seemed to infuriate him more! Apparently, he was still far too weak to be considered by a Hashira─the most feared of the demon hunters.

What could a weak man like him have done in front of his older brother, if not implore forgiveness?

A few weeks ago, he had met Himejima Gyomei, the Stone Hashira and strongest of the generation. He had watched him kill demons, and had decided to become his mentor, but not to make the young Shinazugawa his Tsuguko since he didn't know how to use any breathing techniques.

Nonetheless, Genya was more than determined to get stronger so that Sanemi could acknowledge him and of course...become his' Nemi again.

Despite Sanemi's death-glares and disapproval, Genya was just grateful enough that the Wind pillar did graciously agreed to offer him a stay at his "home" until the young Shinazugawa could get up on his feet.

Training with the Stone pillar had been debilitating and all Genya wanted to do was relax his aching muscles and eat botamochi.

"Nemi?" He called out upon entering the house.

However, instead of being met with met harsh threats, Genya was only met with silence. It was late in the evening that he thought for sure Sanemi would be home by now?

'Must still be out on a mission or perhaps with other pillars?' Genya had thought and decided to head the washroom and freshen up bit, before his brother returns.

*Thump*

Suddenly, Genya was distrupted from his thoughts when he heard a loud thud.

Sharp eyes quickly glanced down the dark hallway, "Nemi?" He called out, thinking Sanemi was indeed home and must've been in his room?

Genya then heard the faint sound of shuffling and quickly became alarmed. If it had been his brother, he would've answered by now as the young Shinazugawa's mind begin to think that it might be an intruder and cut off the water.

Not mindful that he was shirtless, Genya went on the offensive and looked around bathroom for a blunt objectto use as a weapon to protect himself. He internally cursed himself for leaving his sword and gun in the other room as he picked up a wooden back scrubber.

He held it close to his chest and glanced down the hallway, just waiting for someone- or something to pop out.

"Who's there?!" Genya yelled.

Five minutes went by with no sound of anything and Genya felt it would be safe to take a peek. Had it been a robber, they would've reacted upon hearing him?

He poke his head out and looked left and right. No one was there. Genya sighed, but didn't let his gaurd down. He then stepped to the right and looked inside living room that was connected to the kitchen area. Nothing was out of place and no one was there.