Mercy..?

Two big screens on either side of the stage display a sort of video yearbook, a slideshow of photographs from the entire school year. Students, clubs, memories appearing for a moment, then dissolving into the next slide.

The band is playing, a few students are dancing.

Everyone's having a blast.

The camera sweeps across the gym, then back to find Mason and Bill, still at those double-doors, drinking it all in.

"The decorations look nice. The mural and all.." Mason stares at Bill, realizing. "You have no idea..." Bill turns his head to look at the smaller male. "About what?"

Chris's lackey, Tina, swoops down on them, raptor-like. "Carrie! That dress is incredible! Where ever did you get it?" Anastasia steps in immediately.

"She made it, Tina." Tina only glances at her. "Well- I can't get over how different you look, you're positively glowing, what's your secret?"

Mason not missing a beat, "I can do magic."
Tina frowns, focuses her attention on Bill.

"Isn't it exciting? Too bad Sue couldn't be-" He interrupts her.

"Yeah, I'm so excited, Tina, rivers of cold sweat are racing down my thighs." Bill rolls his eyes.

"Now if you'll excuse us, I have to show my date our table." Tina puckers her face and leaves.

Bill leads Mason to their table, "Want to dance?"
Mason looks at the kids, rocking out to a fast-paced song. He makes a face making Bill laugh quietly.

"Or we can wait for a slow song." Mason nods. "Hey, look." Bill's points to the stage, where two thrones for King and Queen of the Prom are being positioned, under Tina's supervision.

"We're nominated, you know." Mason smiles softly, but shakes his head. "You're nominated. I'm just... with you."

"They look beautiful, though. Like from a.." He stares at the two thrones with admiration, "What?" Bill raises a brow.

He shakes his head, still smiling. "No. I don't want to say." Bill leaves it be, not wanting to pressure the boy.

"Want some punch? I'm sure it's awesome." Mason nods. Bill goes, just as Ms. Desjardin, dressed-up as a chaperon, approaches Mason, whose eyes brighten.

"Ms. Desjardin! You look so pretty!" Ms. Desjardin joins him at the table. "You're beautiful, Maricela."

Mason blushes a bit from the compliment. "Thank you. I know it's not true, not really, but thank you for
saying it."

Desjardin reaches across the table, puts her hand on one of Mason's. "Mason.. anything that happened
before tonight.. well, I hope you can forget it."
He looks the teacher right in the eyes.

"I can't." Desjardin sees a flicker of coldness in them. "But it's over with now. Tonight, it's over and done with." Desjardin nods, she gets it.

Both teacher and student turn to gaze out at the students dancing. Desjardin squeezes Mason's hand after awhile.

"Enjoy yourself tonight, okay? You'll never forget it."
The teacher moves on, to the chaperones table, as Bill returns, with two cups of punch. He sits back down.

"What did she want?" Mason looks across at Desjardin, sitting by Principal Morton. "I think she wanted to say she was sorry." He realizes.

A slow song like Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game" starts to play. Mason and Bill sit at their table. While Mason gazes out at the dance-floor, Bill notices a picture of him and Sue on the video screens flanking the stage.