06; 「 The Consultant and the Case 」

"Wh-wh-what tragedy

"Wh-wh-what tragedy. ."

'You know, I actually figured he'd react like this' y/n thought looking at Atsushi who gave a sheepish smile as if being able to read the enigmatic consultant's thoughts.

"What great tragedy is this, that a young beautiful woman in her prime has lost her life. ."

The man kept rambling on and on "my sorrow is crushing my heart!" He'd say. "It's definitely a tragedy!"

"Surprised you didn't say she should have committed suicide with you, considering you are looking for a partner." Y/n noted as she pulled on his collar to tug him away from the lifeless body.

"Who the hell is he?" Minoura asked, eyes squinting at Dazai.

"A colleague at the Agency," Ranpo simply answered "that's just how it is."

"An extraordinary great detective will avenge you!" Dazai said as he was successfully dragged towards the group, the suicidal man turned to Ranpo "Right?"

"I have yet to get the job itself" Ranpo said.

"What? Why?"

The man had responded by pointing towards the detective, telling Dazai to ask him.

"We have no need for private investigators." Minoura informed them "In fact, all of my subordinates are far superior to any private detective."

"Oh?"

Suddenly Ranpo pointed to the officer behind them, "what's your name?"

"What?" He flinched quickly saluting as if not expecting to have the attention on him "I am Sergeant Sugimoto. The victim, Ms. Yamagiwa, was my senior colleague!"

"All right Sugimoto-kun." Ranpo patted his shoulder "Solve this case in sixty seconds, starting now."

"What?!"

"I can solve it in under a minute. If you're good as he says you are, you should be able to do the same." Ranpo said turning to Minoura "Okay, give it a try, Sugimoto-kun!"

"What?! Um okay well-"

He started to fumble his words, still in shock until he finally regained cool and stated that 'Yamagiwa-senpai' was pursuing a political corruption case and also investigating the Port Mafia. "—I believe the murderer's M.O. is similar to the Mafia's method of exacting retribution."

Y/n tilted her head already seeing the flaws in his deduction, even Dazai saw it considering his connections and past with the Port Mafia.