Chapter 8: Conversations, Speculations and Secrets Revealed

Under a highway (Star City)... 

'Well?' Susan Williams asked, walking up to the man in front of her. 

'You were right,' he said, showing her a photo of several people in a bar, and both Oliver and Evelyn Queen were in the photo, holding glasses of vodka and smiling warmly. 'All the guys in this photo are Bratva. It means 'brotherhood' in Russian.' 

'I know. Bratva get tattoos on their chest when they make captain. What about the other thing?' the reporter asked. 

'No. I couldn't find anything else on Queen, or his sister, in Russia, but I reviewed criminal activity from the period they was there, and I found something very interesting.' He showed her a semi-blurry photo, of two figures cloaked in the night, one holding a bow and arrow and the other brandishing daggers. 'The Russians called them 'luchnik' and 'boginya voyny'. The Archer and War Goddess. Do they remind you of anyone you know?'

'The Green Arrow and Athena,' she said, letting out a breath at the revelation. 

'What are the odds of Oliver and Evelyn Queen - and the Green Arrow and Athena, being in Russia at the same time?' 

'Very good... if Oliver and Evelyn are the Green Arrow and Athena.' 

On the other side of the city... 

Adrian Chase opened the car door, letting me step out into the cool night air. 

'Where are we going?' I asked him, lacing my arm through his as he led me into an abandoned underground building. 'This is weird.' After a few moments, I stopped, pulling my arm out of his, the anxiety within me growing now. 'What's really going on, Adrian?'

'I want to show you something,' he said, taking my hand. 'I need you to learn the truth.' He opened a door, and allowed me to go in first. What I saw blew my mind the moment I laid eyes upon it. There, in that tiny room, right in front of me, the hard, cold truth was right in front of my eyes. 

A katana. 

Throwing stars, identical to those of the Throwing Star Killer. 

The Prometheus suit. 

And a massive murder board, all linking to Oliver Queen. My brother. The vigilante. The Green Arrow. I turned to Adrian. 

'What is all this?' 

'I'm Prometheus. I figured it's time I tell you the truth. I'm going after your brother. He killed my father. You may remember him from the list.' 

'Justin Claybourne...' I said, meeting his eyes. 'You're his son?' He nodded. 

'I know this is a lot for you to take in, but I'm giving you an ultimatum. If you feel you can handle this, please stay. But if you can't, you can leave. I don't expect you to love me, but please understand why I'm doing this.' 

'Adrian, I... we've only been dating for a few weeks. And I - I can't keep this a secret, not from the team, not from anyone. Why entrust me with this?' 

'I love you, Evelyn,' he said, taking my hands in his. 'I really do. I wanted you to know the truth. You deserved to.' I leaned forwards and kissed him, and he reciprocated the kiss. When we pulled away, I coughed. 

'Sorry... that wasn't how I imagined the first kiss to go. Your secret's safe with me, Adrian. I love you.' He kissed me again. 

'I love you too.' He pulled away and stared into my eyes. 'And remember... don't tell your team - or Oliver.' I nodded as he took my hand. 

Several hours later... 

I was typing on my laptop, in my pyjamas, on my bed, when I heard a soft knock at my door. I turned to see Oliver and instantly, my heart sank as I realised I was keeping a big secret from him. Steeling myself, I waited for him to say something. 

'I'll be just a moment, Ollie,' I said, finishing off the last of the emails. 'Just some important work with the foundation. We're hosting a function tomorrow for the one-month anniversary.' 

'Oh, wonderful,' he said. I finished off the last email and closed the laptop, looking at him keenly. 

'Is there something you needed?' I asked. He walked towards me and sat on the edge of the bed. 

'Do you want to talk about it now? I mean - you and Adrian.' 

'We've been dating for only a couple of weeks, kissed once. There's nothing to tell. I think... I'm actually starting to love him. Like, a lot. He's sweet and kind, and makes me happy.' He took my hand and held it in his. 

'I just want you to be happy. That's all I want for you,' he said while meeting my eyes. I looked up at him. 

'I know.' I leaned forward and kissed his cheek. He got up and went towards the door, then turned. 

'Hey, we're close onto Prometheus' trail, we'd appreciate your help,' he said. 

'I'll try and help as much as I can, Oliver,' I said softly. 'It's just this work is taking up a lot of my time.' 

'I know,' he repeated my earlier response. 'I'll get in touch with you if I or the team find anything.' I smiled softly as he left the room.