ᴛʜᴇ ᴏᴛʜᴇʀ sɪᴅᴇ

WE'LL MEET AGAIN.
10. ❛ the other side - ruelle.

A THICK SILENCE COATED the seemingly dark room. Both teenagers stared at each other petrified.

The words Wendy was about to say stayed in her throat and suddenly everything made sense, her breath hitched, "Again?"

Wendy wasn't stupid, they both knew it, and it was sad she hadn't managed to connect the dots sooner. Peter seemed to regret saying that instantly, as his teary eyes filled with instant regret and guilt.

"The villains are not the only ones who are destined to die... are they?" Wendy asked softly.

Peter started to shake his head, reluctant to talk about anything he had to do with it and turned around again to try and regulate his breathing, holding on to the nearest wall.

"Peter..."

"It was that night," He started and his voice seemed to break on the last word. "Y-You went to help me fight Elliot. Everything was going as planned until-... until the incident. He-he...you got thrown into a building-"

Peter couldn't even finish his words before his body started trembling with sobs, eyes shutting close.

Wendy thought that knowing about her death would leave her in shock, but the truth is, she did not feel anything when she learned of the information.

She wasn't afraid because she knew that at that moment she was safe and Peter wasn't going to let her leave again. They'd be happy once more.

The only thing Wendy was worried about was the trembling and sobbing boy in front of her.

"Peter..." She whispered again, moving closer to him. She snuck around him until she was between the wall and his body. She wrapped him in a hug and held him gently, trying to reassure him.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." He sobbed, his arms hung loosely around her waist and his head was buried between her shoulder and neck. "It was my fault, I should never have let you accompany me. Don't hate me, Wendy. Please, please, please."

"Shh," Wendy whispered gently, running her fingers through his curls, "I could never hate you, my love. Listen, we'll talk about this later, okay? When this is all over we'll talk."

Peter sniffed and shook his head, "Forgive me."

"Peter, I forgive you," Wendy said seriously when Peter removed his head from her shoulder, "But we have to concentrate." Carefully she extended her hand to his face, wiping the tears from his cheeks "I will stay here with Ned and Mj protecting the box, I promise. But I need you to promise me that you will stay safe too." She asked. The idea of losing him terrified her more than the idea of something happening to herself.

"What if something happens to you?" Peter asked worriedly, still not liking the idea of her being anywhere near New York with the villains loose.

"Nothing's going to happen to me, darling," Wendy reassured, trying to ease his nerves. "You trust me, yes?"

"'Yes," He nodded his head gently. He was scared, but he knew he had to focus and fight. For her. He placed his hand on her jaw and watched as she melted into his touch.

Without warning, Wendy approached his lips and gave him the second kiss of the night, one that now represented the promise of a next meeting and hope. It was delicate and slow, but firm.

"Please come back in one peace," Wendy said with a smile, gently caressing his cheek. "Maybe when this is all over...we'll get our happy ending. Me and you. Imagine it."

A clear throat interrupted them and they saw the older Peter (2) at the door, "Sorry to interrupt but we really need to go already."

"No problem, Peter was just leaving." Peter turned away from Wendy and gave her another look, just to make sure she would stay there. "It's okay, I'll be fine. Promise. Now go kick some ass. I love you."

The boy smiled widely but he felt his heart ache a little. He had heard those words so many times in his dreams that he doubted they were real this time, "I love you, too."

Wendy nodded and watched as the rest of the group came in. Peter (3) walked up to her and ruffled her blonde hair, throwing a lazy grin her way, "Wish us luck."

Ned opened a sparking orange portal for the three Peters and Peter (2) and Peter (3) walked through. Peter looked at his best friends and gave them a smile before discreetly nodding toward Wendy.

It was a message the three of them knew, keep Wendy safe at all costs and don't let history repeat itself.

The boy then walked through the portal and Wendy saw the other two variants of him watching closely, but before Peter got too far Wendy called him again. "Peter!"

"Yes?" he asked, turning around with a worried expression.

Wendy, on the other hand, smiled at him, "Keep each other safe."

Peter gave a boyish grin and nodded, looking back at his variants then back at his love, "We will."

And with that, they all dispersed and were no longer in view. Wendy furrowed her eyebrows when she noticed the portal still open, turning back to Ned, she tilted her head, "You can close the portal now."

Ned chuckled and nodded, "Yeah, I know. It's just- I don't really know how."

Hearing commotion going on Wendy rose her eyebrows and pointed at the portal sternly, "Close it."

"I can't!"

"Why not?!"

"I told you I don't know how!"

"Figure it out!"

"I'm trying!"

"Doesn't bloody seem like it!"

"Don't you see me moving my hands?! I'm trying, Gwen!"

"Hey!" Mj intervened. "You guys yelling at each other isn't helping." She took a deep breath and looked at the two, "Gwen, shh. Ned, concentrate. Now, let's try again."