Proposals and punches

The purple hyacinth specifically, represents sorrow, regret and forgiveness

Episode "An Affair of Honor"

In a town filled with ambitious mamas and fortune-hunting gentlemen, marrying above one's station is an art form, indeed. But Miss Daphne Bridgerton's advance from future duchess to the possible princess is an achievement that even this jaded author must applaud. But it is her cousin that the ton is speaking of how is it the daughter of a Duke is not worthier of the prince but that if a viscount is?

It was later the next day, Daphne and Violet had returned how from their visit with the Queen and Prince. Peony had yet to leave the room at the Bridgertons that she had stayed in that night since the ride back to her where she was staying was much too long to do the night before. Her feelings from the past couple of days crumbled the strong face she tried to put up for the Ton. She heard muffled speaking from outside of her door.

"Is it true? Am I to be the sister of a princess?" Hyacinth's voice could be heard excitedly through the door.

"Calm yourself. I am not yet engaged to the prince." Daphne's voice responded. The yet in the words brought the tears back to Peony's eyes as she listened.

"Will you have to wear a crown?"

"Perhaps for special occasions, but only if I should marry the prince."

"Will you have to learn Prussian?" Peony gave a slight giggle to her cousin's ignorance though it did not last long.
"It is German. And perhaps, but only if I should marry the prince." The words a continued dagger in her already fragile state.

"Will you have to move to a castle far, far away?"

"Should you not be off somewhere with your governess?" Daphne asked her younger sister. Peony did her best to collect herself. Daphne did not know how her actions had affected Peony, the younger girl intended to keep it that way.

Once Daphne's door was heard shutting and Hyacinth's footsteps made their way down the hall, Peony crept out and knocked on Daphne's door, announcing who it was Daphne let her in.

"Daph, you must tell me how this morning went? What did the Prince say? What did the Queen say?" Peony asked, trying to act as excited for her cousin's new suitor as she could.

"He gave me this beautiful necklace and we chatted for quite a bit. He is a great man, the Queen thinks that I would make a wonderful Princess, can you imagine that. Me a Princess?" Daphne gushed though her eyes told a different story.

"Daph you do not seem as excited as I would think you should, do tell me what is keeping you from thinking of marrying the prince?"

With a deep, labored breath Daphne began opening her heart to her cousin, who was becoming more like a sister the more time they spent together.