And the Doubt that Follows

Oleander may signify desire, destiny, and caution, as well as romantic love

That very same night, after Peony had met the prince, she felt that if she were to shut her eyes and fall asleep, she would wake up and the night would have been nothing but a dream. On the carriage ride home, her brother had attempted to ask her about her conversation with the Prince, she gave him the most honest answer she could, a simple "I am still trying to wrap my head around it." She stayed silent replaying the night full of dances with the blonde man, with the bluest eyes she had ever seen.

She here she was, sitting up in bed, the light of her bedside candle illuminated next to her ink creating the dainty lines on the paper of her storybook, writing every moment of the memorable night down. To her left, she heard her slightly open door creak open and a figure walked in, it was Anton.

"Sister?" He questioned, "What are you still doing awake, I had expected you to fall asleep easier after today's excitement."

"Oh my dear brother, I can not, I fear I may wake up and it will be but a dream," Peony, wanted to ask him what it had been like for him, the first time he had seen Olive. However, it seemed that she did not need to as he made his way over to the end of the bed.

"I remember when I first saw Olive, I had never witnessed such beauty in my whole life, it was strange how quickly my every thought became about her. Do you sister believe that the Prince could be the Bee to your flower?" Though the metaphor she used was quite a bazaar to her, she did her best to suppress a giggle, knowing her brother didn't know that bees helped with the reproduction of flowers. Once again choosing to say nothing, instead, her doubt crept into the conversation.

"What if I am not the one he wants, you saw tonight the Queen attempted to push him toward Daphne, I do not think I could handle being his second choice." exhaustion finally started to invade her body, "Perhaps you could tell me the stories of mama and papa tomorrow brother, I am feeling quite tired now." With a subtle pat on the foot, the duke left his sister's room, already scheming to get her with the prince.

Though most older brothers tended to protect their sisters, Anton knew she could hold her own, however, he did wish to see her happy in her life and knew deep in her heart that the Prussian Prince could grant that for her, and so while the ton worried about the elusive mamas they did had never experienced the outright love an older brother had for him younger sister.

❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁

I have always thought that an appreciation of the arts is what lifts us beyond mere animals. It stirs the passions and moves the spirit, and, this author hopes, inspires more newsworthy pursuits. A new wing at Somerset House is to be opened today, where several attractions will be on display... like the lovely Miss Marina Thompson, newly recovered from her mysterious illness and expected to finally rejoin the season. Of course, there is today's royal attraction as well, Prince Friedrich of Prussia. His Highness has come to our shores in want of a fine Fräulein. Could this be the reason a certain language tutor has been seen visiting Cowper House all week? Or Perhaps all of the attempts will be in vain as he was seen dancing most joyously with one Lady Peony Ardoin.