Volume 1 - Chapter 8: Beginning of the War

22 September 1609, 9:15 AM
Qwardon, Marinse

The town of Qwardon with ancient ruins on top of a small hill

The town of Qwardon is a small town with approximately 870 people living in it. Due to its close proximity to Romadian lands, the people living there is being evacuated at the moment with the help from the Chirunans.

It has been 4 days since the deployment of the Chirunan Expeditionary Forces to Marinse and they are currently establish a Foward Operating Base (FOB) just a few kilometres away from the town and near the Fort Erumia, which is the most fortified Fort in Marinse.

Approximately 80% of the townspeople have been evacuated, the rest are either stubborn to leave, saying that the Marinsean Royal Army will never lose to the Romadians, or the elderly, which are taking some time to evacuate due to them being, well, old.

Amidst the evacuation, a scout from the Marinseans was spotted heading to the town on a horse. He looked panicked.

As he got to the town, he yelled "The Romadians have begun their invasion! An estimated amount of 5,000 Romadians crossed the border and could arrive in a matter of minutes!"

The war had begun.

The townspeople panicked while the Chirunans stayed calm and went to their positions to defend against the onslaught of Romadians.

A radio operator sent a message to the Chirunan higher ups and they were shocked. They just got here 3 days ago. But there are still civilians in the town so they had no other choice other than to defend the town. There were 300 Chirunan soldiers in the town including 5 MBTs, 7 IFVs and 10 APCs, some of which are being used to evacuate civilians, a number of trucks and 2 IFVs armed with anti-aircraft weaponry. There's also 500 Marinsean troops defending the towns.

The Chirunans went to their posts which was located on the outskirts of the town facing the Romadian border.

At 9:22 AM, they saw it. The 5,000 Romadians. First, they saw the cavalry and then the footmen. Then, fear struck to the townspeople as they saw what appeared next.

20 wyverns. Wyverns are incredibly dangerous as one of their fireballs could inflict 3rd degree burns and is often fatal. Compared to the Marinseans, which had no wyverns available near the town. The nearest squadron would take 10 minutes to reach them. In other words, they're screwed.

But not for the Chirunans.

A Chirunan corporal used a megaphone and said, "To all Romadian troops, you are illegally entering the Kingdom of Marinse! Retreat now or you shall face consequences!" He repeated that two times.

The Romadians simply ignored the warning, they laughed it off as there's no way the Marinsean, who is incredibly weak to them and the Chirunans, who is also a weak barbarian nation, could defeat the superior Romadians.

They kept advancing and didn't seemed to showed signs of stopping.

And then, the first shots fired was from the Romadians, as their archer took aim and fired upon the Chirunan and Marinsean defences. Thankfully, no one was injured from this. The Chirunans used this as an excuse to retaliate, and so they did.

A Chirunan soldier fired the first shots from the Chirunan side that killed a Romadian cavalry. The Romadians were shocked. Did they cast an invisible arrow magic of some sort? Nevertheless, they began charging at the town's defences.

The Chirunan then fired everything they had at the Romadians. The MBTs immediately killed Romadian land dragons, which is according to the Marinseans, they were incredibly hard to kill. The IFVs and APCs fired their cannons at the Romadians, killing many. Unfortunately, theres still a lot more Romadians incoming.

Suddenly, two Romadian wyverns dived upon the town, planning to put the town on fire. Just as they were close to doing so, an explosion hit the wyvern, immediately killing it. The same happened to the other wyvern.

The people below then saw 4 objects in the sky flying at high speeds, followed by a loud roar. These were the KAI FA-50 from the FOB established a few kilometres away.

The townspeople below cheered, as they was saved by these unknown objects who came to be known as the Ghost of Qwardon.

The battle was bloody as almost a thousand Romadians were killed in 10 minutes. There were also unlucky injured Chirunans being struck by arrows from the Romadians.

Then, explosions occured on the battlefield as the artilleries available on the town fired their guns, killing tens of Romadians every time a shell strikes.

The wyverns on the sky were easily countered by Chirunan fighters and IFVs which had anti-aircraft weaponry.

The battle was almost one sided.

Then, the songs of gunfire and explosions stopped. The Romadians had experienced almost 2,700 casualties. The commanding officer of the Romadians raised and waved a white flag, signalling their surrender.

The remaining Romadians were then captured by the Marinseans and some would be interrogated.

The Chirunans then took a rest after what just happened. But to the commanding officer of this company of Chirunans, Major Aleksander Franssson, felt something odd about the battle earlier.

There were reports stating that the Romadians had 50,000 soldiers stationed on the border, yet they only attacked with one-tenth of what they had. Could it be this was just the first wave? He then notified the higher ups through a radio and they thought the same too.

Despite winning the battle, the Chirunans still felt uneasy as they only fought one-tenth of their enemy forces.

The results of the battle, which would be called the First Battle of Qwardon, were as follows:

On the Chirunan and Marinsean side, they experienced 53 injuries, 19 from the Chirunans and 34 from the Marinseans, most of them were due to being struck by arrows.

On the Romadian side, they experienced approximately 2,670 casualties and more injured, 17 wyverns killed. 2,330 were captured.

This was an embarrassing defeat to the Romadians as they had 5,000 men including 20 wyverns. They lost to only 800 men. They clearly underestimated their enemy.

This was the first battle that took place in the Romadian-Marinsean War.

The rest of the townspeople were successfully evacuated at the end of the day.

----

2 kilometres west of Karhsan

There was a fleet of ships containing around 1,700 ships. This was the Imperia Romadia Grand Fleet. It was incredibly huge compared to other countries outside the continent. This fleet would put an end to the Marinsean Royal Navy and capture their ports with ease, or so they thought.

----

A/N: im kinda in a good mood, so heres another chapter. finally, war. sorry if it seems bad because this is the first time i ever wrote a chapter about battles and stuff. if you have criticism, please leave them in the comments. anyways, see ya on the next chapter!