Volume 1 - Chapter 9: Battle of Gradisan Sea

22 September 1609, 11:00 AM,
Port Orissa, Marinse

On the busy port of Orissa, it was filled with merchants coming in to trade and for some people, to seek jobs. Not for today though.

The port was still busy, but not too busy due to the presence of a strange fleet of steel ships. They were small but not too small and had a blue-black flag with a weird symbol in the middle. These are the so called Chirunan Expeditionary Fleet, part of the Chirunan Expeditionary Force.

The fleet consisted of 4 Stosscl-class corvettes and 6 Ichsal-class light corvettes. Currently, this fleet is on high alert, this is due to the fact that the Romadians has began their invasion on the mainland. The Marinseans also tried to support them with their own ships, but the Chirunans declined saying that they can handle this by themselves. They'll only need at least one observer from them to record what happens during the battle. They also stated that the Marinseans will send help to rescue some of the Romadians survivors if requested, just in case.

Currently, they're watching the movements of a massive Romadian fleet using a Learjet 35. Once the Romadian fleet starts advancing, they'll advance too and try to force them to surrender. If they don't surrender, then they'll have no other choice other than sinking some of their ships.

For the people near the port, they were curious of this weird fleet of steel ships. They only have one cannon but the aura they gave off was... something else. It wasn't terrifying, it was mysterious.

One of the person standing on the port is Lieutenant Amridia Neurde, an officer from the Royal Marinsan Navy. He was ordered by his higher-ups to go onboard one of the ships to act as an observer. They chose him because if situation gets dire, he has good swordfighting skills.

Then, an RHIB from a Chirunan corvette reached the port to pick up the observer. After arriving on the ship, he felt curious on how the ship works. Then, a person came to him and introduced himself.

"Welcome onboard CNS Intwelo. My name is Rear Admiral Filippus Kristiansson, the commanding officer of this ship and fleet."

"Nice to see you, Rear Admiral Filippus. My name is Lieutenant Amridia Neurde. I'm here acting as an observer as you requested."

"Hope we both get along, Lieutenant Neurde."

As they take a short tour around the vessel and ending it on the ship's bridge, Neurde asked a question that has been on his mind ever since he was sent on this ship.

"Excuse me, Rear Admiral Filippus, I have a question."

"What is it?"

"How does naval combat works in your... previous world? I'm worried that we might fight the Romadians in hand-to-hand combat."

"Oh, don't worry about that. Hand-to-hand combat in naval warfare is an old tactic back in our world. Currently, we use ranged weapons to defeat our enemies, but I'm afraid I can't name what it is. You'll have to see it for yourself when the fight happens."

"I see... Thank you for telling me."

Suddenly, after they finished having a conversation, the Learjet that was sent to scout the enemy fleet had something to say.

"Expeditionary Fleet, this is Hawkeye-1. The enemy fleet has began to advance. I repeat, the enemy fleet has began to advance."

Finally, the fleet's crew was finally seeing some action.

Filippus grabbed the a radio and said;

"Attention, fleet! Our scout has reported that the enemy fleet has began moving. All hands to battle stations as we will advance too. I repeat...", he repeated that again.