TCSDL - Chapter 05

Kong landed safely in Shanghai, China. He started on Wednesday, but after his roundabout journey filled with layovers across Dubai, he reached only on Friday.

After reaching his accommodation, he mailed and messaged all his family, friends, and Arthit about his safe arrival. Kong immediately got into his work mode as lots were to be completed.

Arthit too has gotten busy with his work. Just about the same time as Kong landed at his destination, the travel he was anticipating also got confirmed. He is to travel to the company headquarters in the US in a week's time.

Kongpob and Arthit were never like any normal couple who were to be paired off through an arranged proposal. They did not indulge in any of the frequent calls or messages as both had their official travels lined up and work. During one of the calls with their respective families, they both were told that they will wait for another 6 months to get the official engagement done and then after a couple of months, marriage. Both were happy with this arrangement as they will be able to spend time getting to know each other after they return to their homeland.

(Author's update: Time Frame: Kongpob and Arthit meet in January. Within a span of 10days of their meeting, Kong travels to Shanghai, China and Arthit travels to the US.)

Soon, Arthit too travels to the States. Now the time zone difference between Kong and Arthit is 13 hours. Both of them get settled in their respective work locations and work modes. Their communication used to be through emails. If an email is sent today, the reply will be received only the day after. They both made this work and try to build a friendship as a start. They started sharing photos of places they visited, and the food they ate and slowly started opening up to each other. Once a week, on a Saturday they try to do a video call just to get a glimpse of each other, however, most of the time it did not happen. 😊

Like every other weekend, Kong called his home.

"Hello dad, good morning. How are you all? Have you all had breakfast? Where is mom?"

"Hello Son, we are all fine."

Kong was able to hear so much fuss from the background and he interrupted his dad.

"What is all that noise dad? What is happening?"

"That... oh that is nothing son, just that we will be going today to Arthit's house to get your engagement done"

"WHAT????" Screamed Kong. 

"You all mentioned engagement is going to happen in 6 months, right? Why all of a sudden? What is the rush dad? And moreover, we both are not available. How can you do the engagement?" Kong could not believe his ears and he was on a roll.

To say he was angry and upset would have been too little – there was an emotional rollercoaster going on. His family did not even mention anything about this new turn of events, even Dae. He did not know what or how to express it.

"Relax Kong, it is just the formality. As per our tradition, there is no need for the grooms to be present in the engagement. It is more like a confirmation promise between both the families and to inform society that both their kids are no longer single. Also, on checking with the saints, and elders in the family, they said that the timeframe we were initially planning does not have any auspicious time suitable for marriage. Hence, we decided to do the engagement now and mostly the wedding will be in June. Only after the engagement, we will be able to initiate the talks on the marriage date and details."

Kong was stunned. All his plans, to understand Arthit and spend some courting time have literally gone into a soup.

Kong's dad disconnects the call saying they have to start before the good time and he will update him later.