Ch.2 Stay

The ride home was fairly bumpy, but the little girl managed to fall asleep. Kevin's heart went out to her. She has seen almost as much as he has out there in this war. He couldn't help help but wonder about how long she has been there. The smell of blood was so strong that he might have missed the smell of decay.

When they finally reached base, all the soldiers who survived jumped out of the cars and tanks and fanning out to different stations. Kevin made a beeline for the headquarters with the child still asleep in his arms. He entered the place and sat in front of the general who was looking over a map.

"Yes, Kevin?" The General spoke without looking up.

"My contract is up, Max." This got the attention of the general.

"What?"

"That was my last battle. I'm going home." Kevin gave a blunt answer.

"But you're one of my best soldiers. You've won us countless battles out here!" Max exclaimed.

"And now it is time for me to win the battles f parenthood." They looked down at the child once she stirred in her sleep.

"What is that?" Max asked cautiously.

"A child. I found her during the battle."

"Well, where are her parents?" the general spoke.

Kevin looked at him straight in the eyes. "Dead."

"Is this why?" Max continued to stared at the young girl.

Kevin nodded and stared down at her. "She understands so much in this world. More than what a child should ever know. She has seen the horrors of the world, her parents pass. I do not wish for my children to know that if I were to be gone in a fight."

"Very well. I want to thank you for your service her in this troop." Kevin have a salute before exiting the make shift building and heading into the medical center.

Kevin was about to place the young girl down but she she tightened her hold on him and have a quiet cry. "Hey, hey... Shh... it's okay. I'm just gonna clean you up so you won't get sick. I won't leave you. I'll stay right here."

Reluctantly, she released her hold and allowed him to set her down in the small metal tub. He removed the ripped pale blue from her shoulders and poured some warm water over her head. He grabbed some soap and massaged it into her scalp, making sure to get all the dirt out. Quickly, he rinsed all the soap off her and grabbed a small towel and lifted her from the tub. Kevin placed her on a table and towel dried her long, blonde hair. He wrapped her in the towel and combed through her hair with his fingers.

When he turned around a small hand grabbed him. "I'm just going to find you some clothes." He reassured her. He walked over to one of the shelves and grabbed the smallest t shirt he could find. Kevin pulled it over her head and saw that she was practically swimming in it. A small smile made its way onto his face. The sight was just too cute. He then remembered something.

"I've got something for you." The little girl stared at him with curious eyes. Kevin then pulled out the elephant necklace he found earlier. The girl gasped and smiled. "Is this yours?" she quickly nodded her head and reached out for it. Kevin put it around neck quickly and his heart warmed as she held onto it for dear life.

I promise to keep you safe and that no harm shall come to you....