Chapter Twenty Four

Chapter Twenty Four 

It isn't the moon

who holds power

over the beast's heart.

Upon returning to the village, Scarlet still finds most of the town asleep. Luca had gone to work in the pine fields whilst she had to return home. Home. It didn't feel like home anymore.

    She treks through the muddy terrain of the streets. She chugs slowly along as she wanders past the crippled Inn. As she approaches her house, a shadow moves in the window. Her grandmother's. Scarlet ascends the first step before the door flies open and her grandmother leaps out, a fearful expression masking her features as she looms over her on the porch, preventing Scarlet from progressing any further.

"Grandmother? What's wrong?" Scarlet asks in puzzlement.

"Where have you been?" She demands.

"Um...out...why?"

"Scarlet..."

"I went for a walk. I needed to clear my head. What's happened?"

"Nothing..." She replies after a moment, flinging her arms around her granddaughter. "I just had an awful dream." She sighs.

"Well...I'm fine." She says with reassurance. "Is anyone else up?"

"No. Come in and I'll fix you breakfast."

"It's okay, I already ate." She follows her grandmother in. "Do you have my rounds ready, I think I'll just get them out of the way." She smiles sweetly.

"Of course. Basket is already pact."

"Right-i-o. I guess I'll be off, again." She grins, taking up the cloth covered basket and heading back for the door. "I'll be back later."

"Alright dear." Scarlet opens the door whilst adjust her hood on her head. She goes to step out the door but gasps at the looming figure blocking the doorway. "Everything alright dear?" Her grandmother calls out. Grey blocks the entrance with a lazy smile on his mug.

"Morning lover." He attempts to kiss her on the lips but she flinches slightly and they land on her cheek. Grey lingers for a moment, staring at her. "Everything alright darling?" He questions, straightening his back.

"Yes." She chokes out. Her grandmother emerges behind her.

"Oh, good morning Grey." She leaves out the cheer in her voice.

"Good morning her replies to her and then directs his gaze back to Scarlet. She shifts and slides past him, his gaze following her.