Chapter Nineteen

We are only gifted with one spark of … life,
a will to fight.
If you lose that spark … life,
isn’t worth living.

 Jackson watches his sister carefully from the staircase. Grey has is arm wrapped around her as they sit on the lounge, with one foot pressed into the edge of the coffee table, rubbing mud everywhere. He sits there with a smug, arrogant look plastered across his face. A sense of victory and achievement drift off him. While Scarlet’s face looks the complete opposite. She looks more like hollowed out shell. Technically speaking Scarlet is sitting on the lounge, but her spirit seems to of drifted somewhere else, her eyes stare blankly ahead – glazed over like the dead.
     “There’ll be a feast tonight. At the tavern.” Grey informs the rest of the house. Scarlet’s mother and grandmother are hidden out of site in the kitchen, they mumble in acknowledgement, more Scarlet’s mother then grandmother, though. Her mother tends to Grey, bringing him drink and food, acting like he’s the king. Though he just as well might be from now, Scarlet and her grandmother think. Grey could probably get away with murder now, and no one would accuse him. Her grandmother goes about her usual routine, ignoring the events that have happened. She places freshly backed muffins in the basket that Scarlet uses and writes a list of everyone she has to deliver them to. Maybe it would be better if she got Scarlet out of the house, she thought.

  “Scarlet, honey.” She walks into the room, basket in hand. “Would you go deliver these for me?” She extends the basket out to Scarlet. Scarlet turns her head slowly, not really taking in anything that was happening around her. She looks at her grandmother and then at the basket, realising what she had to do. She reaches for the basket and goes to stand, but Grey keeps her in place next to him.

“Scarlet has been through a lot. She needs time to rest, in light of these events.” Grey says. “I’m sure Jackson could manage it for today…” He half turns his head to incline to the boy on the stairs. Scarlet’s grandmother drops her sweet smile and peels off her façade.

“I agree that she’s been through a lot. But Jackson has been through the exact same, he was in that trap too!” She tries not to raise her voice. Grey raises an eyebrow at her tone, not appreciating being spoken back to. Before Grey or the old lady can get another word out, Jackson jumps up and stomps down the stairs.

“It’s okay gran.” He chimes innocently. “I’ll do it.” He reaches for the basket and takes it.

“Are you sure?” She suspiciously questions her grandson.

“Yes. I’m sure.” He says and forces a smile.

“Alright then…” She looks at her granddaughter, who stares back longingly, and then spitefully at Grey. Jackson walks to the front door after giving his sister a side glance, his grandmother walks with him. When they’re on the porch and out of hearing range, the old lady crosses her arms and cocks an eyebrow at the boy. “What are you doing?” She asks her grandson in a questioning tone. He smiles at his grandmother.

“Don’t worry, I have a plan.” He reassures. She rolls her eyes.